• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations Winter 2017-18 snow totals

Yeah, it usually happens. The Northern part of Forsyth seems to be snowier in events just due to it being north of a mountain I believe. I remember back in the 2011 storm, as soon as you drove south of the mountain, the 6 to 8 inch amounts went down to 5 to 3 inches across the area. And, of course, 2015's storm was a weird one, 3 in the far west, 1 in the far east, and 2 here in the middle. That gradient was horrible.
Sawnee mountain? I think I heard of that before. I was in the Alpharetta area in 2011 so luckily I didn't have to worry about that. We got 8 inches of snow where I was at the time.

Sawnee mountain? I think I heard of that before. I was in the Alpharetta area in 2011 so luckily I didn't have to worry about that. We got 8 inches of snow where I was at the time.
Yep, and you got 8 inches in Alpharetta? Maybe there was some downsloping impacts as well like the last storm, but at a smaller scale in that instance? Would be interesting to look into.

Yep, and you got 8 inches in Alpharetta? Maybe there was some downsloping impacts as well like the last storm, but at a smaller scale in that instance? Would be interesting to look into.
Now that I think about it probably closer to 6 or so but someone near my area said 8. Either way that was quite a winter as well and we may just top it this year.

~2" of snow/sleet combined (mainly snow) from the once in a generation 1/3/18 storm. But that doesn't tell the whole story. There was also nearly 0.50" of ZR producing 3/16"-1/4" of ice accruing on trees. Total liquid equivalent 0.75" all with it 31 or colder! When was the last time that much liquid equiv fell here from a winter storm? 1/1922!

It didn't all melt away in shaded areas until 5 days later! Even 4 days later, there was still 2" in many shaded spots!

*Edited

Not official because the first winter storm had so much wind it was hard to get a good measurement. But I’m pretty sure right around 7.5 inches so far this season.
December: Four or five flurry events
January 12th: 4.5 inches snow plus a little bit of freezing rain.
January 15th-16th: 3 inches of snow

Here in SW Alabama, both systems combined, 7" of snow so far.

December ....3.5 inches
January ...... 6.0 inches
Total for the season 9.5 inches (which is close to normal)
Anything in February and March is just icing on the cake.

7 inches this winter season so far. That’s almost on par with 2011. We got close to 10 that winter. KATL got 3.1 inches in December 2017 and 2.3 inches from January 16th snowstorm so that brings them up to 5.4 inches so far.

If you combine all the snow from December and January at my house we have had barely a dusting to cover a frozen car window. It looks like the Chattanooga area has been given the middle finger so far. Just south in Georgia and east of us they have had nice dustings but nothing at our house.

Back