• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry When will the NC mountains see their first NW flow snow event ?

Hard to say. Mt Mitchell will probably see it first, then Beech and Sugar, then Blowing Rock and Highlands. I will say 2nd week for Mt Mitchell and 3rd week for others. Blowing Rock/Newland and that area averages about 30 inches a year, Im sure thats on the decline.

So, I was one day off on my guess, but it was right on schedule for the first flakes.
Yes sir right on cue. I've seen accumulating snow on Roan first week of October think that was in 08 or 09. It's always cool to see snow with leaves still on the tree. Ive heard old timers people long gone now talk about harsh Winters back in the day. Said the ground turned white by Halloween and stayed white till spring. You'd have melt but the ground stayed white. My grandma had to dig tunnels from the front door of the house to the road up in Avery county one winter in the late 50s might have been 1960. Drifts as high as the roof no joke.

Yes sir right on cue. I've seen accumulating snow on Roan first week of October think that was in 08 or 09. It's always cool to see snow with leaves still on the tree. Ive heard old timers people long gone now talk about harsh Winters back in the day. Said the ground turned white by Halloween and stayed white till spring. You'd have melt but the ground stayed white. My grandma had to dig tunnels from the front door of the house to the road up in Avery county one winter in the late 50s might have been 1960. Drifts as high as the roof no joke.
Probably 1960 I saw a whole thing written on that and pictures of the snow .

Probably 1960 I saw a whole thing written on that and pictures of the snow .
It was. The famous March 1960 storms is what she was talking about. She talked about the rivers freezing over for weeks at a time too.

Back