• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry When will the NC mountains see their first NW flow snow event ?

Drop yalls estimated dates of when y’all think the mountains will see there first accumulating snow (including the highest peaks)
Just thought this would be interesting
First measurable snow or first NW flow? The two aren’t mutually exclusive

Drop yalls estimated dates of when y’all think the mountains will see there first accumulating snow (including the highest peaks)
Just thought this would be interesting

You should add a layer to this and see who can get the location(s) correct. Your general favored areas are the peaks above 5000', mainly in Avery and Watauga counties.

You should add a layer to this and see who can get the location(s) correct. Your general favored areas are the peaks above 5000', mainly in Avery and Watauga counties.
Yep with the addition of spots like LeConte, Roan.

I went with after 11/13 but probably wrong (but right for my backyard). Plan to be waxing up the skis in early December but before Thanksgiving would be a nice early start.

Last edited:
Most years the higher mountains of NC see their first flakes during the last week in October.
Yeah in my 4 years at App St I’m pretty certain I at least saw snowflakes falling before Halloween. My Junior year in 1996 actually saw an accumulation around the 25th and then a 6” plus the first weekend in November

I went for the later date cause it has sucked up there the past few years (talking above 3,500ft). Even Raysweather has been missing snowfall forecasts by up to 80” or more on some of the higher peaks that he does. Going beyond the past years there were better years sure but it’s clear to see a downward trend ? on the bigger timeline (over 25 years).

Dec 4th. Cold air stays lodged in Siberia and N. Pacific. I will favor Newland, Beech mnt areas as first to receive.

Back