• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Tropical Storm Milton

NHC discussion - shear may help it grow. Sound familiar??

The NOAA Hurricane Hunter crew reported that an eyewall has formed
on the last center fix, suggesting that this system is ready to
intensify quickly. Given the track over the very deep warm waters
of the Gulf of Mexico and little shear for the next couple of days,
rapid intensification is explicitly forecast, and the new NHC
prediction could still be conservative over the central Gulf of
Mexico. The biggest question actually seems to be the intensity as
Milton approaches Florida, with much of the guidance showing a
notable increase in shear. While some weakening is anticipated,
the shear could help transition Milton to be a large hurricane at
landfall, with impacts spread out over a big area.

A bit confused with NHC timing. HWRF, HMON, and Hafs a have all slowed down in the last run to a Thursday landfall, 15z and 06z respectively. NHC has a Wednesday landfall.

Pretty concerned about my aunts here.

They live in the Sarasota - Bradenton area and one was telling my dad about how the water rising was freaking her out with Helene a couple days ago.

That one will probably need to leave and find refuge at least with my aunt and step uncle, although they're both in a bad spot because I'm not sure there's been enough time for the water to subside from Helene.

Hopefully, we can get lucky and these early more southerly trends near the north coast of the Yucatan continue and slows down intensification long enough for the storm to exit the otherwise extremely favorable conditions less intense than feared.

Pretty concerned about my aunts here.

They live in the Sarasota - Bradenton area and one was telling my dad about how the water rising was freaking her out with Helene a couple days ago.

That one will probably need to leave and find refuge at least with my aunt and step uncle, although they're both in a bad spot because I'm not sure there's been enough time for the water to subside from Helene.
I have numerous family members in Bradenton and Tampa.....most of them will not leave during hurricanes.....they are "set" in their ways

Meanwhile, 12z CMC shifted slightly S to between Ft Myers and Naples vs its 0Z’s Ft Myers and yesterday’s 12Z’s Port Charlotte.

Landfalls way up only a little SE of Cedar Key! Significantly N of last 2 runs.
Looks like the Ga. coast is set to get tropical storm conditions once again. The storm will be transitioning extratropical with an expanded wind field as it comes off of the Fla. E coast. Yikes.

That trough over the lower Mississippi Valley almost goes negative tilt on this run. If that continues, an even further northward motion is not off of the table.
1728231628026.png

I think I see why the mean over FL is further south. The 12Z guidance’s initialization is at 22.5N, 94.9W, which makes sense since that’s where recon found the center. Compare that to the 5AM EDT NHC track’s latitude of 23.0N 5AM through 2PM. That means the storm in reality is a half a degree further S than the 5AM track.
If anything, this may be good news for Tampa though bad news for SW FL.
It maybe a mix of both good and bad.
Further south landfall, offshore wind, but bad, that the northern eyewall or northern semicircle still rakes the region...especially given if shear eats away at the southern portion of Milton

Back