• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry The Webber/1300m/Kylo/Jon/Whatalife Storm January 12th-14th

Frame this one LOL I think i've found a new profile pic
0DlCFxqkFR4t-jdNtdeNayW7zDLutnWkg_Roc2YgAbIwn7nGh9OsFNDmJf8OHaYv4g0mu80RNg=w328-h371-no

Hickory reporting .4" of ice accrual. Forsyth County has over 30,000 without power. Over 10,000 in Guilford so far. Here in NW Randolph, I see minor glazing, but no issues. Looks like the NWS forecast is verifying well.

Hickory reporting .4" of ice accrual. Forsyth County has over 30,000 without power.

Note that both Hickory and Winston-Salem (in Forsyth County for those who don’t know) had all hourly readings of 31-32 during all of the ZR. The point is that it doesn’t normally take upper 20s to get a major accrural just above the ground though it sometimes takes that for the streets to get really bad. A good number of the worst ATL icestorms had 30-31 and even up to as high as 32 in a few cases. Some of this knowledge is from personal experience.

Note that both Hickory and Winston-Salem (in Forsyth County for those who don’t know) had all hourly readings of 31-32 during all of the ZR. The point is that it doesn’t normally take upper 20s to get a major accrural just above the ground though it sometimes takes that for the streets to get really bad. A good number of the worst ATL icestorms had 30-31 and even up to as high as 32 in a few cases. Some of this knowledge is from personal experience.
Correct. The roads are fine, but the ice on the trees and power lines have caused downed trees and the power outages.

roads seem fine here...but 40,000 without power in Forsyth currently and that number is rising fast. Though the rain has ended, the weight remains on the tress/power lines. So expect more outages around here. IMG_1147 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert on freezing rain...but I'm guessing the icicle formations probably don't count on the official accrual count, but it seems to me they add quite a bit of weight

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert on freezing rain...but I'm guessing the icicle formations probably don't count on the official accrual count, but it seems to me they add quite a bit of weight.

I don’t think they count explicitly as the accrural would be much higher. My understanding is that typical accrurals are often in the 0.4 to 0.5 ratio to ZR that falls in rain gauges as much of the rest drips to the ground immediately, especially if heavy. Anyone know how much ZR has actually fallen at Winston-Salem and the accrurals there so we could see the ratio? Also, I saw per Packfan that Hickory got a whopping 0.40” accrural. Anyone know how much ZR fell in the gauge there?

Last edited:
I don’t think they count explicitly as the accrural would be much higher. My understanding is that typical accrurals are often in the 0.4 to 0.5 ratio to ZR that falls in rain gauges as much of the rest drips to the ground immediately, especially if heavy. Anyone know how much ZR has actually fallen at Winston-Salem and the accrurals there so we could see the ratio? Also, I saw per Packfan that Hickory got a whopping 0.40” accrural. Anyone know how much ZR fell in the gauge there?

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KHKY.html

There is a 3 day history link on the point and click forecast pages from NWS.

We (Roanoke) busted low overnight fortunately! .28 instead of at least .75 that every model I looked at said we would get. as late as even the 00 hi res stuff.

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KHKY.html

There is a 3 day history link on the point and click forecast pages from NWS.

We (Roanoke) busted low overnight fortunately! .28 instead of at least .75 that every model I looked at said we would get. as late as even the 00 hi res stuff.

Thanks for that link. So, HKY got 0.40” ice accrural from only 0.52” of rainfall? Wow as that is an unusually high ratio of accrural to rainfall and it only got down to 31! Just goes to show every situation is different and accrural rates of ZR are highly variable
Meanwhile, I just found this:

MAX/MIN TEMPERATURE AND PRECIPITATION TABLE FOR NC
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH, NC
718 AM EST SUN JAN 13 2019

.BR RDU 0113 ES DH00/TAIRZX/DH07/TAIRZPZ/PPDRZZ
:
: HIGH YESTERDAY / LOW PAST 12 HOURS / PCPN PAST 24 HOURS
:
: MAX MIN 24-HR
:ID LOCATION TEMP TEMP PCPN
:
AVL :ASHEVILLE : 38 / 31 / 0.91