• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Summer Sizzlin Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not understand why people bother putting up weather stations if they aren't going to install them properly. You look at the wundermap and see 1 our of every 4 stations 5 and even 10 degrees higher, they cannot be in direct sunlight, and at least 5 feet above the ground or any surface that isn't pavement.

I do not understand why people bother putting up weather stations if they aren't going to install them properly. You look at the wundermap and see 1 our of every 4 stations 5 and even 10 degrees higher, they cannot be in direct sunlight, and at least 5 feet above the ground or any surface that isn't pavement.
The problem is most of those stations are flawed.... for instance, I have the acurite 5-1 weather station that sends data to Wundermap but it really shouldn't b/c it's horrible. They have a design flaw imo, they have to be put in direct sunlight because all sensors are in the one unit, noway to protect it from sunlight without affecting wind and rain measurements. It has a solar powered internal aspirating fan that is suppose to help with that but it's never worked properly for me. I mean I hear the fan running but if the sun is full on then the temp is way off. Case in point, it's showing 95 right now... that's just laughable. Acurite has even replaced the sensor once, I just think it's a flawed design.

The problem is most of those stations are flawed.... for instance, I have the acurite 5-1 weather station that sends data to Wundermap but it really shouldn't b/c it's horrible. They have a design flaw imo, they have to be put in direct sunlight because all sensors are in the one unit, noway to protect it from sunlight without affecting wind and rain measurements. It has a solar powered internal aspirating fan that is suppose to help with that but it's never worked properly for me. I mean I hear the fan running but if the sun is full on then the temp is way off. Case in point, it's showing 95 right now... that's just laughable. Acurite has even replaced the sensor once, I just think it's a flawed design.

What you said is exactly why I didn't buy that one. You have to put it in the open for the correct rainfall amount, but it didn't look like the temperature sensor was protected at all. I bought the 3-1 because I could mount it to a piece of 3/4 rigid pipe, and I have it out of the sun 6 feet above ground, and put up a cheap rain gauge where I could find some open space. The temperature sensor is also highly protected on the 3-1 just like some other brands, and one of the models has wifi for weather underground. The anemometer isn't very good though.

01530m-800x800_1.jpg

Rain cold bullseye
2aac5082f166d283702d08ffca8c06c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So I’m confused. Which weather station do y’all recommend? Or do they all suck?

Remember when people talked about a ice age coming? Yea that was fun. Reading a few blogs today and all I can say is that we might as well remove winter and fall and Summer 2 and summer 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember when people talked about a ice age coming? Yea that was fun. Reading a few blogs today and all I can say is that we might as well remove winter and fall and Summer 2 and summer 3.

Huh?

I remember those days where I use to run freely as a kid and not give a sh*t about politics but instead just wonder when I was gonna get another toy or when it was gonna snow, the good old days
This was random

Rain shields...deploy!!!
1d01d0b16f9c65e4a2ee30ac9d29719e.gif

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Man you do have tough luck. Theres a few on this board that get rain everyday it seems. A few (me included) that hardly ever get any. Then everyone else that it is just 50/50. It can't be coincidence and bad luck for the ones who always miss out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back