• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sizzling Shenanigans: warm season whamby

atlanta board members in for a rude awakening with how much these things absolutely suck. like 3 hours of meteorological "whoa" for a week of pain and no AC

i've got friends that chase these things and i get absolutely nothing out of it. growing up in wilmington i think maybe they wore out their welcome some, for the most part the whole thing is just a windy grey
Those of us that remember Opal know we don't want this. I've got half a steer in one freezer and a hog in the other. Running generators for an extended period of time sucks.

I don’t recall the top wind gusts with Irma, but there were widespread power outages, tons of trees down, homes damaged, traffic light mast arms down, etc. It was pretty bad for about a week.

The folks who are expecting a full blown hurricane in Atlanta are going to be mighty disappointed come Friday morning. Keep your expectations in check. Sure trees down, flash flooding and extended power outages are a very real threat. But for those thinking windows blown out of high rises, roofs torn off everywhere and forests flattened I don't know what to tell you but move closer to the coast of that's what you want.

The folks who are expecting a full blown hurricane in Atlanta are going to be mighty disappointed come Friday morning. Keep your expectations in check. Sure trees down, flash flooding and extended power outages are a very real threat. But for those thinking windows blown out of high rises, roofs torn off everywhere and forests flattened I don't know what to tell you but move closer to the coast of that's what you want.

the issue is that there's going to be a place where the corridor of highest PRE rains and the path of the remnant core/eyewall intersect that will see a lot of downed trees and that intersection point could easily be atl

NHC track looks good for now. They know what they are doing.
That's kind of the way I see it too. My opinion of Atlanta not getting hurricane force wins apparently isn't popular. We'll see Friday morning what happens. But these wind maps from what I've seen are almost always wrong. Just like snow maps they are way over done. We try to justify them saying it's a different setup but I'm guessing there is a reason those pressures haven't been recorded in North GA before and I'm sure this setup has happened many of times. Not saying it's impossible but if I was a betting man I'd say the pressures are modeled too low and the winds too high. I remember Brent posting it seems Atlanta only gusted to 59 during Opal? Their benchmark storm? It's asking a lot to get 70-80 mph gusts there. Stick with what the NHC and NWS say. If they say it I may start believing it

That's kind of the way I see it too. My opinion of Atlanta not getting hurricane force wins apparently isn't popular. We'll see Friday morning what happens. But these wind maps from what I've seen are almost always wrong. Just like snow maps they are way over done. We try to justify them saying it's a different setup but I'm guessing there is a reason those pressures haven't been recorded in North GA before and I'm sure this setup has happened many of times. Not saying it's impossible but if I was a betting man I'd say the pressures are modeled too low and the winds too high. I remember Brent posting it seems Atlanta only gusted to 59 during Opal? Their benchmark storm? It's asking a lot to get 70-80 mph gusts there. Stick with what the NHC and NWS say. If they say it I may start believing it
I'm literally under a Hurricane Warning and you say Atlanta won't get hurricane force winds ? I'm only 135 miles south of Atlanta !

Back