• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern September 2024

Got some more rain last night after yesterday’s unexpected 2”. And now it is coming down heavy. This is once again clearly more than yesterday’s model consensus had been suggesting although at least the GFS has adjusted.

Despite the newly installed rubber threshold, a little water came in the garage on one side yesterday and is just now is again with this heavy rain. The guy fortunately just came out to assess it as he was nearby. He feels it is helping/holding up well, but we looked more closely and the bottom of the bad corner’s wall has rotted. Thus as temporary stopgap, I put a towel down for now. He suggested I buy some silicone caulk and put a bunch in there on the bottom of that corner (on the outside) so as to keep things under control til after Helene passes. Then he said I need to get my contractor to do a more permanent repair.

Getting very heavy thunderstorm now.

Got some more rain last night after yesterday’s unexpected 2”. And now it is coming down heavy. This is once again clearly more than yesterday’s model consensus had been suggesting although at least the GFS has adjusted.

Despite the newly installed rubber threshold, a little water came in the garage on one side yesterday and is just now is again with this heavy rain. The guy fortunately just came out to assess it as he was nearby. He feels it is helping/holding up well, but we looked more closely and the bottom of the bad corner’s wall has rotted. Thus as temporary stopgap, I put a towel down for now. He suggested I buy some silicone caulk and put a bunch in there on the bottom of that corner so as to keep things under control til after Helene passes. Then he said I need to get my contractor to do a more permanent repair.

Getting very heavy thunderstorm now.
The joys of home ownership, its always something.

I feel like the rain is slightly east of where it was modeled a couple of days ago, or the shield could be wider in fact.

The joys of home ownership, its always something.

I feel like the rain is slightly east of where it was modeled a couple of days ago, or the shield could be wider in fact.

Holy cow, I just got ~2” within an hour! It stopped for now. That brings me to ~4” since yesterday. My street flooded (see below). Hoping not too much more will fall the next 24 hours, including from the more direct effects of Helene:

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

Holy cow, I just got ~2” within an hour! It stopped for now. That brings me to ~4” since yesterday. My street flooded (see below). Hoping not too much more will fall the next 24 hours, including from the more direct effects of Helene:

View attachment 151982

View attachment 151983
Not looking good. How is it not draining off faster than that? I hope you get a break.

View attachment 151982

View attachment 151983
Thats crazy, and I know you were not anticipating all of that.

I've only gotten 2.2" according to my physical gauge, but I couldn't be happier with that because its been a slow moderate rain for almost the duration of the event, which is good for ground absorption. I don't anticipate more then a couple more inches here with the eastward track now being accepted. I certainly am not one of the ones rooting for damage.

I'm at 4.9" yesterday and .16" today so far. Now raining heavily. 5.06" total event so far. All of the rain was absorbed in to the ground (no standing water) by daybreak. Creek level remains unchanged. We could easily absorb another 5" I think. The ground is primed for absorption now. Under the pines and poplars is very, very dry. but now just moist enough to take in more water (heavy clay soils).

Not looking good. How is it not draining off faster than that? I hope you get a break.

There’s a shallow dip on the street there though there’s also storm drains there. I had the govt folks go in and clean out the drains a few years back. I may call them to do that again although it never fully seemed to stop the flooding in heavy downpours that last more than ~15 minutes even after the last cleaning,

The street has drained nicely now but it took ~2 hours.

Back