• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Previous storm discussion

The January 2018 coastal had potential to be so much more if not for the dry slot. It was nice to not have any mixing issues for once.
1575083078785.png

1575083168711.png
The February 2015 event is interesting because we saw sleet fall in the teens. It was perhaps the coldest I had ever seen non-snow precipitation.

93 Superstorm, December 2017, and Blizzard of 96 here. I was in Hartwell Georgia during the 93 storm and I was not quite 12 years old. Our country house had a tin roof at the time and I believe it was Friday night into Saturday morning I remember it raining and thundering pretty heavily that night. My cousins were staying with me at the time and we had no idea what was coming. My dad had remodeled the entire house and had put in a giant solid glass window in the back of the house where you could probably see a half mile into the fields in the back. Well sometime around mid to late morning the sound from the rain had stopped, but you could still hear the wind. I remember when I had gone downstairs and looked out that window it was complete white out. We only had 6-8” where I was but I’ll never forget drifts over my knees and building snowforts by filling up five gallon buckets.

Blizzard of 96 was the first time I’d ever been in multiple feet of snow. My buddy had moved with his family up to Avery County, NC and I would spend my weeks out of school with him. That storm dropped 2-3’, and that was my first experience sledding down a Christmas tree farm mountain side down on to a frozen pond.

I don’t need to rehash 2017, we all saw it on the models while our mets said a dusting to 1”. 10” later...

And for those in the other thread it had started snowing in west Georgia long before areas east. So north and west of 20/75 probably changed over at 3-5am while areas East were mid to late morning.

Im happy that I was just 10 when the superstorm happened. I was pumped about the inch we got, I'm not sure I would feel the same now

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I was 10 as well and living in central Alabama then. here other side of then. The other side of the coin is that was just about as good as it will ever get in the south, all downhill from there. I do live in Huntsville now, so in theory we could do better, but the last storm in Huntsville with that much snow was in the 60s, so...

'93 is my benchmark storm. Probably won't ever see anything like it again here in Chattanooga. It was just such a unique, destructive beast. Doubled the previous 24 hour snowfall in over 100 years of weather records. The power outages were scary though. Literally 6 foot snow drifts in my backyard and my golden retriever at the time(grhs) would jump into one and disappear completely for 2 seconds.

I was 10 as well and living in central Alabama then. here other side of then. The other side of the coin is that was just about as good as it will ever get in the south, all downhill from there. I do live in Huntsville now, so in theory we could do better, but the last storm in Huntsville with that much snow was in the 60s, so...

December 31, 1963-New Year's 1964 Southern US, Huntsville, Alabama Snowfall Accumulation Map.png

'93 is my benchmark storm. Probably won't ever see anything like it again here in Chattanooga. It was just such a unique, destructive beast. Doubled the previous 24 hour snowfall in over 100 years of weather records. The power outages were scary though. Literally 6 foot snow drifts in my backyard and my golden retriever at the time(grhs) would jump into one and disappear completely for 2 seconds.

I lived in East Alabama and was 4 years old(!) and I can still remember it vividly, only time I remember snow drifts that were feet high and widespread power outages. Pretty sure my weather interest came out of that(certainly between Andrew in 1992 and this) because I remember every other year's weather after that

the 2017 storm is the only time I wish I was back in Alabama lol because the bullseye was in the area I used to live

There's been some fun events since, the 2010 storm when it snowed all day which never happens, and then my last winter in Alabama(the snowjam 2014) and my first winter here(in March no less), that was back to back fun winters but I dont think that one will be topped in the south

I know that many were probably frustrated with February 2014 storm because of the amount of sleet in the middle of the storm but I really think it’s underestimated for enjoyment. I know that here in Union County we had three consecutive days with at least 3 inches of daytime snow which is extremely rare east of the mountains. All totaled we ended up with 11 inches of snow/sleet combined over three days and it was honestly probably more than that when you considered how much compacting there was from the sleet.

I will always remember the December 9, 2017 storm. Expected 2 to 4 at best myself and got 9 while the NWS was saying 1 to 2. Certainly one of the best busts ever.
This was up there for me to. Great bust, ened up barely in double digits with 10 inches

My older cousin sank in the snow in the March '93 superstorm in NW GA back when he was very young!

My favorite has been 1/28/14 because of the rarity of the situation that unfolded at the location I was at and because it caused such a mess around the southeast. It was so cold while it was snowing and the snow started to show more on the roads/rooftops/sidewalks before the grass (where it ended up freezing roads). I remember trying to walk and slipping and falling on the road.

My older cousin sank in the snow in the March '93 superstorm in NW GA back when he was very young!

My favorite has been 1/28/14 because of the rarity of the situation that unfolded at the location I was at and because it caused such a mess around the southeast. It was so cold while it was snowing and the snow started to show more on the roads/rooftops/sidewalks before the grass (where it ended up freezing roads). I remember trying to walk and slipping and falling on the road.
From what I remember didn’t the local TV mets in Atlanta pretty much dismiss the city having any significant impacts despite the fact that the NWS had issued a WSW?

My worst is easy, March 1st 2010. Let's see 992mb low in perfect spot, 850s below zero and probably 1.5" of QPF and a nasty 1-2C layer from 900mb to the surface. I still hate that storm. It is still more hated than missing the big blow in Jan 2011 and missing out completely in Feb 2015.

I had some help when my car slid sideways off the road at 30mph and I still was able to drive through that yard and get back on the road. No doubt.

My worst is easy, March 1st 2010. Let's see 992mb low in perfect spot, 850s below zero and probably 1.5" of QPF and a nasty 1-2C layer from 900mb to the surface. I still hate that storm. It is still more hated than missing the big blow in Jan 2011 and missing out completely in Feb 2015.
Yeah but didnt you get dumped on just a few weeks prior in Feb 2010 ?

Surprised nobody has mentioned the March 1, 2009 ULL. I remember how weird it looked on the radar that afternoon to watch the radar and see the rain changing to snow from SW to NE. We had heavy sleet just long enough during the changeover to make the grass a little crunchy and coat the road with a layer of slush. Then when the snow started it piled up fast even with the temperature just above freezing. I ended up with 8 inches of paste that actually stuck around for a couple days which is unusual for March

Surprised nobody has mentioned the March 1, 2009 ULL. I remember how weird it looked on the radar that afternoon to watch the radar and see the rain changing to snow from SW to NE. We had heavy sleet just long enough during the changeover to make the grass a little crunchy and coat the road with a layer of slush. Then when the snow started it piled up fast even with the temperature just above freezing. I ended up with 8 inches of paste that actually stuck around for a couple days which is unusual for March
I hated that storm. Probably my least favorite of all time. We had thundersnow for hours but it only accumulated to maybe 1/2". I hate March snows !

Back