• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Previous storm discussion

SD

Administrator
Reaction score
Discuss some of your favorites or biggest duds in this thread. Post as many maps/pics as you want. We can hopefully use this thread as a living catalog for some of the best times and some of the biggest misses.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I would say 2016 Ice storm.
January 22nd at 4pm, power cuts off, called Duke and said their outage system was down.
Cuts on again at 5pm, and cuts on and off intermittently until going off fully at 6pm
Did not cut on until 7:40pm.
Had .5 inches of ice and 2 inches of snow.

If anyone can find the setup to the February 26-27,2004 Carolinas snowstorm, I would love to see it. This was my all-time favorite storm for the Charlotte area. It began snowing at my home in Concord around 8am on the morning of the 26th and it didn’t stop until around 4am the following morning. We got a solid 8 inches from the overrunning part of the storm during the day. Then after it had lightened up for a few hours the upper level low come across the area and what can best be described as a cluster of thunderstorms crawled across the 85 corridor in the Charlotte area and just absolutely dumped the whole area with another 8-14 inches in matter of a few hours. It was the only time that I actually saw lightning flashes during a snowstorm and not just hear thunder. Then during the following day the low actually reversed its course and another band of snow set up over us and gave us another couple of inches. I ended up with 19 inches when I did a final measurement but I’m certain there had been some compacting during the storm.

If anyone can find the setup to the February 26-27,2004 Carolinas snowstorm, I would love to see it. This was my all-time favorite storm for the Charlotte area. It began snowing at my home in Concord around 8am on the morning of the 26th and it didn’t stop until around 4am the following morning. We got a solid 8 inches from the overrunning part of the storm during the day. Then after it had lightened up for a few hours the upper level low come across the area and what can best be described as a cluster of thunderstorms crawled across the 85 corridor in the Charlotte area and just absolutely dumped the whole area with another 8-14 inches in matter of a few hours. It was the only time that I actually saw lightning flashes during a snowstorm and not just hear thunder. Then during the following day the low actually reversed its course and another band of snow set up over us and gave us another couple of inches. I ended up with 19 inches when I did a final measurement but I’m certain there had been some compacting during the storm.
That storm was one of the first I can remember, I think we were only supposed to get an inch or two in Fayetteville, ended up with 8” on the ground when all was said and done. It is still the single biggest snowstorm I’ve ever experienced in my lifetime down here, I missed the Dec 2010 storm that also dropped 8” here for a hockey tournament in Washington DC, I’m very salty about that to this day.

Being in Charlotte for at least one more winter I’d love to see a storm like that this year instead of getting the usual inch or two of slop.

Im happy that I was just 10 when the superstorm happened. I was pumped about the inch we got, I'm not sure I would feel the same now

Another thing about that 2004 storm, From what I can remember it was actually forecasted very well by the NWS and local tv mets. In fact I can even remember Eric Thomas saying the night before on the 11pm news when he showed the Charlotte area getting 6-10 inches, he said that if this busts it’s going to be too low and that some short range models were putting out as much as 16 inches.

Another thing about that 2004 storm, From what I can remember it was actually forecasted very well by the NWS and local tv mets. In fact I can even remember Eric Thomas saying the night before on the 11pm news when he showed the Charlotte area getting 6-10 inches, he said that if this busts it’s going to be too low and that some short range models were putting out as much as 16 inches.
Yes, you are correct and the anchors laughed at that statement....... It ended up verifying.

Long live January’88! The greatest snowstorm I will ever see in my lifetime, in person, actually living at the sweet spot! 14-16” of powder, temps in the teens the whole time! Not one flake lost to warm ground, or changing over from rain! And I was 13 at the time, and watched and played in it from the first inch! And approximately two weeks out of school and cold temps following! I don’t expect to see another storm like that, living here, in my lifetime! Wish I had pics and videos! I didn’t understand busts at that time, but I remember the day before, it was thickening cloud cover and highs around 30, then it started about 3-4 AM! Any maps of that storm are welcome and appreciated!☃️☃️

I will always remember the December 9, 2017 storm. Expected 2 to 4 at best myself and got 9 while the NWS was saying 1 to 2. Certainly one of the best busts ever.

Absolutely. I like everyone saw the models showing the insane totals, but knew 2-4 inches would be awesome. The 9-10" we received was ridiculous. The heavy snow band in the afternoon that was probably close to 2" an hour were the heaviest I've ever seen. That said the last band around mid-night that dropped another inch is the first time I was praying it would stop snowing. Hearing the limbs hit the house and seeing the big oak branches almost touching the ground at that point was surprisingly unerving.

That all said, the Snowjam of 2014 may still take the cake.

Im happy that I was just 10 when the superstorm happened. I was pumped about the inch we got, I'm not sure I would feel the same now

I'm happy I wasn't alive for that storm. RDU got shafted pretty bad in the grand scheme of things. January 2011 and December 2017 were also some infuriating ones that were great for many in other areas but not here.

I'm happy I wasn't alive for that storm. RDU got shafted pretty bad in the grand scheme of things. January 2011 and December 2017 were also some infuriating ones that were great for many in other areas but not here.
You must be toon young to remember this heartbreaker too
98c258b7ce94d480b01bddfab5368a25.gif

This one sucked too
66c43276cfd9896adcd259322fb5038d.gif

This storm is underrated if you ask me. Temps fell into the mid 20s with ripping fatties
59f1061eb80e95e3e2dd5f70049bc3a7.gif

My all time favorite and it snowed night and day, during the day... what sun angle. Man that storm was a blast

b5921537818495b184e758f279383713.gif

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This storm is underrated if you ask me. Temps fell into the mid 20s with ripping fatties
59f1061eb80e95e3e2dd5f70049bc3a7.gif

I remember that one. I think I had about 6" in MBY. It was the most snow for a Raleigh area storm since 2003-04. The mid-2000s were pretty bad for central NC.

Back