• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you said you were going to block/ignore me so if that's the case you shouldn't be seeing any of my posts... yet here you are responding to them so you obviously didn't block/ignore me like you said you would ;)

Back to the point, I said not only did Fauci downplay this but ALSO the MSM did well into February. We also have good ole De Blasio downplaying this on March 10th telling people "For the vast majority of New Yorkers, life is going on pretty normally right now; we want to encourage that.” The point remains that there were plenty of people downplaying this from the start (Fauci) all the way into March (De Blasio) with plenty in between.

Why do you suddenly have a problem w/ me responding to your posts now, I've been doing this for a while?! Maybe, I wanted to take a personal break for a while to seeing your postings before I said something I shouldn't have? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or something?

Plenty downplayed it, but the overwhelming consensus that this was more prevalent in conservatives much longer than in Republicans and public opinion on the virus clearly showed it was being taken far more seriously in democrats which is a reflection on their news media reporting. It's still one piece of the puzzle why we find ourselves in this predicament, and I personally place far more blame (majority of it) on China but placing Fauci's statements in the same place as Trump is simply wrong for so many reasons (one of the obvious ones being the date they were made).

I was a Marine for 4 years and then a SEAL for 17. If you were proud to watch that Im glad you weren't watching my six back in the day......
Lol okay buddy. Just illustrating the military isn't a hive mind on this. Some of us are proud to see our fellow citizens exercise the rights that we fought for.
Also, please everyone stop touting your military experience. It doesn't make your opinion any more or less valuable than someone else's. You don't own the rights the determine what is or isn't patriotic, and patriotism isn't something to be so strived after in any case.

Lol okay buddy. Just illustrating the military isn't a hive mind on this. Some of us are proud to see our fellow citizens exercise the rights that we fought for.
"Having" the right and the way you go about exercising it are two entirely different things my friend......The reasons he kneeled and the things he said DO NOT represent courage or character in any way shape or form but to each his own

Why do you suddenly have a problem w/ me responding to your posts now, I've been doing this for a while?! Maybe, I wanted to take a personal break for a while to seeing your postings before I said something I shouldn't have? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or something?

Plenty downplayed it, but the overwhelming consensus that this was more prevalent in conservatives much longer than in Republicans and public opinion on the virus clearly showed it was being taken far more seriously in democrats which is a reflection on their news media reporting. It's still one piece of the puzzle why we find ourselves in this predicament, and I personally place far more blame (majority of it) on China but placing Fauci's statements in the same place as Trump is simply wrong for so many reasons (one of the obvious ones being the date they were made).

It's just an interesting observation is all :)

My point isn't whether conservatives or liberals downplayed it or what consensus was within a certain group. My point is simply that Trump wasn't the only person downplaying this during the months of January, February & March. Dr. Fauci downplayed this at the start, the MSM did for quite awhile well into February and De Blasio was incredibly irresponsible for telling New Yorkers to go about their daily life on March 10th... not to mention what he and other leadership in NYC said prior to that. We can agree to disagree but that's my perspective on the issue.

My point isn't whether conservatives or liberals downplayed it or what consensus was within a certain group. My point is simply that Trump wasn't the only person downplaying this during the months of January, February & March. Dr. Fauci downplayed this at the start, the MSM did for quite awhile well into February and De Blasio was incredibly irresponsible for telling New Yorkers to go about their daily life on March 10th... not to mention what he and other leadership in NYC said prior to that. We can agree to disagree but that's my perspective on the issue.

Yeah because bringing something up and personally attacking someone on a topic that has nothing to do w/ the discussion at hand is going to generate legitimate intellectual discussion and not derail the conversation at all. People like you never learn...

That's your point? Do you realize how moot that is? If you believe downplaying the virus in late January vs March are basically the same thing, you need to get your head checked. You can't just lump everyone into one category and say they're all equally at fault for "downplaying" when a) the statements made by Trump were far more riddled with utter stupidity and occurred weeks later than Fauci's and b) it's blatantly obvious to anyone with a pulse that the situation was much more serious in March when Trump was spouting his nonsense publicly. Alas, conservatives like you will do anything to spin this favorably for Trump!

Yeah because bringing something up and personally attacking someone on a topic that has nothing to do w/ the discussion at hand is going to generate legitimate intellectual discussion and not derail the conversation at all. People like you never learn...

That's your point? Do you realize how moot that is? If you believe downplaying the virus in late January vs March are basically the same thing, you need to get your head checked.

I didn't say downplaying it in late January vs March are the same. I said that Trump downplayed it in January, February, and March and cited examples of 3 different people/groups who were downplaying it in each month. Trump downplayed this in January? So did Fauci. Trump downplayed it in February? So did the MSM. Trump downplayed this in March? So did De Blasio. Each month there are prominent examples of it being downplayed by significant individuals or groups.

Yep. Trump even admitted he downplayed it to start. So did Dr. Fauci, the WHO, CDC, the list is miles long. What some cant seem to grasp is that Trump listened to the experts from Day 1 and they have openly praised him for it on multiple occasions. He has a job to keep the public from jumping off the cliff and he did it well

I didn't say downplaying it in late January vs March are the same. I said that Trump downplayed it in January, February, and March and cited examples of 3 different people/groups who were downplaying it in each month. Trump downplayed this in January? So did Fauci. Trump downplayed it in February? So did the MSM. Trump downplayed this in March? So did De Blasio. Each month there are prominent examples of it being downplayed by significant individuals or groups.

Wait! You mean to tell us that of the available news media outlets and figureheads, Trump is one of the few that consistently month after month public downplayed this virus til it became too big to throw under the rug? You don't say... Nice to see you agree with me now :)

Wait! You mean to tell us that of the available news media outlets and figureheads, Trump is one of the few that consistently month after month public downplayed this virus til it became too big to throw under the rug? You don't say... Nice to see you agree with me now :)

Nah there are tons of examples. De Blasio for example downplayed this in January-March. Many news outlets did January and February and some still into March. So yeah Trump isn’t the only one to downplay it :)

Also, please everyone stop touting your military experience. It doesn't make your opinion any more or less valuable than someone else's. You don't own the rights the determine what is or isn't patriotic, and patriotism isn't something to be so strived after in any case.
Based on the things I see you post Im certainly glad you weren't behind me (as I noted before) but questioning your patriotism? Never. And you don't have any right to ask me to stop touting my military experience. My "opinion" is no more or no less valuable than anyone else but my experience during a crisis that has obviously induced stress is very valuable to those that may choose to listen. If you don't want to engage in conversation or see my post, hit that ole ignore button. Im sure plenty of other folks have......

Nah there are tons of examples. De Blasio for example downplayed this in January-March. Many news outlets did January and February and some still into March. So yeah Trump isn’t the only one to downplay it :)

I can certainly think of a few, Fox News being a pretty obvious one, oh wait that's a conservative news outlet, we shouldn't talk about their piss poor reporting! Mainstream liberal news media only! Gotta keep touting the party line!

You're deflecting again ;)

Just in case it went over your head the first bajillion times (which doesn't surprise me), my point (& those of many others here) is/was Trump downplayed this more than most and to the extreme and much longer, but in the context of the original argument that him and Fauci deserve to be held in the same light is totally laughable and a last ditch effort by the alt-right to grasp at the few remaining straws they have on Trump's "amazing" initial effort to COVID-19 when it couldn't be further from the truth.

I can certainly think of a few, Fox News being a pretty obvious one, oh wait that's a conservative news outlet, we shouldn't talk about their piss poor reporting!

You're deflecting again ;)

Just in case it went over your head the first bajillion times (which doesn't surprise me), my point (& those of many others here) is/was Trump downplayed this more than most and to the extreme and much longer, but in the context of the original argument that him and Fauci deserve to be held in the same light is totally laughable and a last ditch effort by the alt-right to grasp at the few remaining straws they have on Trump's "amazing" initial effort to COVID-19 when it couldn't be further from the truth.

We just have to agree to disagree then as we both have different perspectives on this.

Just another reason why China's Xi is a slime ball….He must think it's Christmas....Re-gifting...LOL

Re Kaepernick - Jim Brown said it the absolute best:

"I'm going to give you the real deal: I'm an American," Brown said. "I don't desecrate my flag and my national anthem. I'm not gonna do anything against the flag and national anthem. I'm going to work within those situations. But this is my country, and I'll work out the problems, but I'll do it in an intelligent manner."

We just have to agree to disagree then as we both have different perspectives on this.

Perspectives? Quotes, actual numbers, and the multitude of hot takes from those in here w/ obvious political leanings (just follow my hard righties like @Sandbar, & @Matthew70 for some delicious, fresh hot takes!) aren't opinions or perspectives, those are what we'd call... facts & reality in case you weren't aware.

What do you make of the fact that republicans in every state of the union polled by fox news no less, that Republicans didn't take this anywhere near as seriously as Democrats. You wouldn't suppose the news media outlet sources for each party would have anything to do with that or reflect upon their party's own opinions?!

"It's not the main point of my post yes, but aside from looking from within this forum and I'm not going to point out specific names of those that have downplayed CoV's severity relative to the collective opinion of this forum, in more broad terms, the evidence is pretty overwhelmingly in support of this view and by a pretty significant margin, in that more democrats have taken this virus more seriously much sooner than Republicans, trump's actions are perhaps an over exaggeration of this underlying theme, but it's very real imo.

View attachment 38131

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/21/upshot/coronavirus-public-opinion.html

Just last week, 63% of Democrats and 49% of Republicans said they considered the coronavirus to be a personal threat; now 76% of Democrats and 63% of Republicans feel the same way."
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rious-threat-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN21C02T

View attachment 38132

https://www.people-press.org/2020/03/26/views-of-how-officials-public-have-responded-to-covid-19/#republicans-and-democrats-back-measures-aimed-at-flattening-the-curve

View attachment 38133

Even the heavily conservative fox news media outlet, continues to largely support this point.

"By a 14-point margin, Republicans are more likely than Democrats to think Americans are overreacting, and Republicans are less likely to have changed their life “a great deal” (-13), be worried about getting infected (-14), and be concerned about the virus spreading nationally (-7)."

You also find that more democrats were more worried sooner about the state of the economy in response to this crisis relative to republicans, again fox news poll...

View attachment 38134
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/poll-recession-fears-coronavirus-us-economy

Admittedly, this political gap is closing and becoming indiscernible as the scope of the virus is blatantly obvious to nearly everyone now and both sides are taking it very seriously, but I don't think that takes away from the fact that republicans on a national level didn't take this as seriously as democrats did earlier on in the crisis, and while yes we have more pressing matters to attend to, this is a point worth revisiting in the aftermath of this virus."

If the shoe was on the other foot, and say Obama, Clinton, or Carter was in office, I think you'd find a much different tone across the board and this gap to be smaller or completely reversed out of political spite more than anything."

No, no, no you're right that's all just my "perspective", there's nothing to really see here!

Then you or another hard core righty on this forum would proceed to say something really short-sighted like "Well, ya know everyone was saying "_____" about the coronavirus over "insert very, very long period of time here" & check out this "insert copy & pasted quote(s) from some random democrat from a cherry picked article or blog linked here" that said back in the year of yore that the virus wasn't a big deal (yet) to the US!. BAM! Trump you did it again! Libs owned!"

Perspectives? Quotes, actual numbers, and the multitude of hot takes from those in here w/ obvious political leanings (just follow my men @Sandbar for some delicious, hot fresh takes!) aren't opinions or perspectives, those are what we'd call... facts & reality in case you weren't aware.

What do you make of the fact that republicans in every state of the union polled by fox news no less, that Republicans didn't take this anywhere near as seriously as Democrats. You wouldn't suppose the news media outlet sources for each party would have anything to do with that or reflect upon their party's own opinions?!

"It's not the main point of my post yes, but aside from looking from within this forum and I'm not going to point out specific names of those that have downplayed CoV's severity relative to the collective opinion of this forum, in more broad terms, the evidence is pretty overwhelmingly in support of this view and by a pretty significant margin, in that more democrats have taken this virus more seriously much sooner than Republicans, trump's actions are perhaps an over exaggeration of this underlying theme, but it's very real imo.

View attachment 38131

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/21/upshot/coronavirus-public-opinion.html

Just last week, 63% of Democrats and 49% of Republicans said they considered the coronavirus to be a personal threat; now 76% of Democrats and 63% of Republicans feel the same way."
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rious-threat-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN21C02T

View attachment 38132

https://www.people-press.org/2020/03/26/views-of-how-officials-public-have-responded-to-covid-19/#republicans-and-democrats-back-measures-aimed-at-flattening-the-curve

View attachment 38133

Even the heavily conservative fox news media outlet, continues to largely support this point.

"By a 14-point margin, Republicans are more likely than Democrats to think Americans are overreacting, and Republicans are less likely to have changed their life “a great deal” (-13), be worried about getting infected (-14), and be concerned about the virus spreading nationally (-7)."

You also find that more democrats were more worried sooner about the state of the economy in response to this crisis relative to republicans, again fox news poll...

View attachment 38134
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/poll-recession-fears-coronavirus-us-economy

Admittedly, this political gap is closing and becoming indiscernible as the scope of the virus is blatantly obvious to nearly everyone now and both sides are taking it very seriously, but I don't think that takes away from the fact that republicans on a national level didn't take this as seriously as democrats did earlier on in the crisis, and while yes we have more pressing matters to attend to, this is a point worth revisiting in the aftermath of this virus."

If the shoe was on the other foot, and say Obama, Clinton, or Carter was in office, I think you'd find a much different tone across the board and this gap to be smaller or completely reversed out of political spite more than anything."

No, no, no you're right that's all just my "perspective", there's nothing to really see here!

Then you or another hard core righty on this forum would proceed to say something really short-sighted like "Well, ya know everyone was saying "_____" about the coronavirus over "insert very, very long period of time here" & check out this "insert copy & pasted quote(s) from some random democrat from a cherry picked article or blog linked here" that said back in the year of yore that the virus wasn't a big deal (yet) to the US!. BAM! Trump you did it again! Libs owned!"

We will agree to disagree on things, thanks!

I love how the Trump haters are out in full force now that the virus is not killing the millions and hundred thousands that were predicted. Which is really great news. Positive news and does look like either restrictions, wx, herd immunity or burning itself out have happened. Thankfully looks like we should start opening up in May and sports will happen and lives can start rebuilding. The economy can get to churning again. So the scale did not tip to far either way thankfully! So the Trump haters have to find something to complain about. Who’s ready to see a Trump/Biden debate!

I love how the Trump haters are out in full force now that the virus is not killing the millions and hundred thousands that were predicted. Which is really great news. Positive news and does look like either restrictions, wx, herd immunity or burning itself out have happened. Thankfully looks like we should start opening up in May and sports will happen and lives can start rebuilding. The economy can get to churning again. So the scale did not tip to far either way thankfully! So the Trump haters have to find something to complain about. Who’s ready to see a Trump/Biden debate!

Lol no, we're definitely not fully opening up back in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back