• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Palm Sunday NC and VA Winter Storm

I thought overall the models have been trending southward. I wouldn't call one set of runs being different as backing off yet.

Definitely some good and bad points to the modeling today so far. Most have shifted the low and stripe of precip further south. However, the stripe of winter weather has not been shifted south to match. Looks like the high pressure has been trending slightly weaker with the 12z runs. I'm curious to what the Euro shows. I think I-40 north is definitely in the game.

By the way, the canadian is definitely further south with the low. Good signs there I think.

I don't disagree. I don't like to see all of the models essentially backing off as we move in, though. That's a red flag for sure, if it continues.

I personally don't see any red flags. If you look at the large-scale conditions, the 850s are below 0C from US 64 north and surface temps are 33-34F, we've seen in the last few events that's very doable (you can actually get away w/ max temps of 1C aloft before dendrites completely melt but that's besides the point) and the timing is optimal during the late overnight period so we don't have to worry about any insolation, etc and there's going to be a lot of lifting in this frontogenetical band. Steady as she goes for now.

namconus_temp_adv_fgen_850_seus_48.png
namconus_T2m_seus_48.png

Well one thing that will be a no brainer is that the cad will be stronger than modeled.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I personally don't see any red flags. If you look at the large-scale conditions, the 850s are below 0C from US 64 north and surface temps are 33-34F, we've seen in the last few events that's very doable (you can actually get away w/ max temps of 1C aloft before dendrites completely melt but that's besides the point) and the timing is optimal during the late overnight period so we don't have to worry about any insolation, etc and there's going to be a lot of lifting in this frontogenetical band. Steady as she goes for now.

View attachment 4717
View attachment 4716
Ok, I'll stay with you then. :)

200.gif

Obviously however if this shortwave starts to lift back north and amplifies in subsequent runs, and as we're approaching the event we're several degrees warmer than forecast or the CAD high is slower to move in (we'll likely have some diabatically induced in-situ CAD in any case that's also very difficult to forecast and often missed by the models which may offset this potential negative in the forecast), and/or if the observations upstream in the midwest and OH/TN valleys showed more liquid than frozen vs forecast, then yea I'll be worried. This is the latest in the season I've ever been tracking a winter storm so there's that

UK looks interesting, all I see is the 850's and 2m temps. Looks like below -1 to 0C on 850 and 34-35F 2m temps.

PN_D5_TS_TT_P1_UV_UU_VV_METE_1000_Raleigh.png

Not saying it's wrong but the euro busted horribly for the MA storm yesterday . The snow totals were way way less than what it was showing

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Hater

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We can definitely work with this.
Absolutely, especially if your precipitation rates are high enough in that frontogentical band. Models don't handle these processes terribly well and the last few events have overperformed partially as a result of dynamical cooling, sensible heat transfer, etc. Most models only showed a brief period of snow w/ the last event in the morning and it kept snowing at RDU thru the 2 o'clock hour, the preceding event produced accumulating snow even well southeast of RDU down to the coast when most forecasts kept everything NW of the Triangle for the most part...

No real changes to the overall thinking here w/ this event if you're along/north of the US HWY 64 corridor, and along/west of I-95 in the northern coastal plain, you stand a legitimate chance to see accumulating snow out of this. It certainly helps when the heaviest precipitation comes late at night when surface temps are coolest.
index (2).png

Back