• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern NC mountain fires & Drought

No big surprise here and now D2 showing up, going to get ugly real fast unfortunately

20211130_southeast_text.jpg

I hope i don't sound like an idiot, but what would be natural causes? I get lightning, but there hasn't been any.

Stay safe man!
Static electricity a simple spark and a little wind with dry conditions.

Deer rubbing their hooves against the forest floor and the charge travels through their antlers . That’s my theory !
I was thinking a skunk, fox or chipmunk rubbing against a tree trunk, their tails are hair brush like so that's my theory

Wow we don’t drought often at all anymore hopefully this will be quite short lived View attachment 96617
While our droughts aren’t typically severe , we are one of the most drought prone areas in the nation, specially north ga/ upstate sc / clt area . Not sure why , wonder if down-sloping and a rain shadow affect of sorts is to blame .1638458408434.png

Severe drought issued for entire Charlotte metro. Moderate drought into Wilkes co. Thursday drought map update

Spontaneous combustion in leaves look it up rare but possible.
I'm not doubting you and I'm actually aware of spontaneous combustion, generally speaking there has to be moisture and compression (think piles of mulch or bales of hay, etc) so that seems unlikely in a very dry area no? But I guess there could still be some deep areas of leaves that have enough moisture and compression to reach those temps, it's happened in the swamplands of ENC before. I'm guessing poachers and they either had a fire they didn't completely extinguish or threw down a cig butt

I'm not doubting you and I'm actually aware of spontaneous combustion, generally speaking there has to be moisture and compression (think piles of mulch or bales of hay, etc) so that seems unlikely in a very dry area no? But I guess there could still be some deep areas of leaves that have enough moisture and compression to reach those temps, it's happened in the swamplands of ENC before. I'm guessing poachers and they either had a fire they didn't completely extinguish or threw down a cig butt
9 out of ten is human caused and it is deer season.

Interesting but teach me something, how can static electricity occur in a remote location of a forest? Genuinely curious
There are power lines in the area too but u sound like u got this down pat. I'm leaning deer hunters though and a lil update fire has beoke containment three times but has died down a lil this morning.

There are power lines in the area too but u sound like u got this down pat. I'm leaning deer hunters though and a lil update fire has beoke containment three times but has died down a lil this morning.
My last theory, squirrel got fried in the transformer, sparks hit that dry brush and boom

Back