• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern NC mountain fires & Drought

Here are some wildfire stats, number of fires has been up and down , though acres burned were at their greatest in the 40s and 50s with virtually every year burning anywhere from 250-700k acres. 2016 only burned 77k acres. 2021 is not bad at all, in fact very low at under 10k acres. The 80s also look bad with the greatest number of fires, though not as many acres burned as the 40s. still, multiple years well over 100 and 150k acres burned. Guess cold and dry is a great fire combo based on what happened in the 80s.

fire acres.png

fire #.png

Here are some wildfire stats, number of fires has been up and down , though acres burned were at their greatest in the 40s and 50s with virtually every year burning anywhere from 250-700k acres. 2016 only burned 77k acres. 2021 is not bad at all, in fact very low at under 10k acres. The 80s also look bad with the greatest number of fires, though not as many acres burned as the 40s. still, multiple years well over 100 and 150k acres burned. Guess cold and dry is a great fire combo based on what happened in the 80s.

View attachment 96419

View attachment 96420
Yeah it’s easy to have very low RH/decent-strong winds with cold NW flow in the winter

View attachment 96419

View attachment 96420
Advances in fire suppression/containment, equipment, etc played a big factor in reduced acreage burnt even with large numbers of fires.

From what I can tell from @Mcdowell_weather posts
The fire is back in this vicinity somewhere, based off the pics somewhere in that holler near Old Glenwood Rd and 226.
Can also see what may be a plume of smoke on vis sat in northern McDowell Co.

Screenshot 2021-11-30 161423.jpg

The fire is back in this vicinity somewhere, based off the pics somewhere in that holler near Old Glenwood Rd and 226.

View attachment 96427
Upon further review, that possible "plume" is too far NW to be the same fire McDowell is reporting. More SE part of the county for the one he's on.

View attachment 96427
Its right behind the prison on Huntsville mtn is what us locals call it. Idk what official maps call it.

Upon further review, that possible "plume" is too far NW to be the same fire McDowell is reporting. More SE part of the county for the one he's on.
I will look into that I haven't heard anything on the radio yet. Whats the time stamp on that sat pic?

I will look into that I haven't heard anything on the radio yet. Whats the time stamp on that sat pic?
Couple hours ago. Has since sort of died down, so I'm a bit confused. Its barely a speck on the most recent frame

PILOT MTN FIRE

Doesn't appear to be bad, just ground leaves. Trees will probably be ok.

Tbh this is the case with many forest fires around here, biggest threat is usually to structures or residential areas, if you can protect those areas a good underbrush cleaning not the worst thing in the world.

Back