• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Mountain/Foothills Discussion and Observation Thread

This may not be the appropriate place for this question, so Mods please move if needed. My family is thinking about spending a week in the Highlands, NC area this summer (likely July or first half of August). I know it gets a lot of rainfall generally, but is the summer pattern typically lots of days of “all-day rain” or more like afternoon thunderstorms/downpours? We definitely want to be able to do outdoor activities for a good part of the day.

This may not be the appropriate place for this question, so Mods please move if needed. My family is thinking about spending a week in the Highlands, NC area this summer (likely July or first half of August). I know it gets a lot of rainfall generally, but is the summer pattern typically lots of days of “all-day rain” or more like afternoon thunderstorms/downpours? We definitely want to be able to do outdoor activities for a good part of the day.
Generally they have have an overall increased chance for afternoon thunderstorms. All day washouts usually only occur during the summer months from tropical systems. Enjoy the cooler weather above 4k!

Back