• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe May 7th - 12th Severe weather threat

day 3
day3otlk_0730.gif

Geez I hope the NAM 3km is wrong, sounding on Sunday would support very large/damaging hail, large CAPE, especially at the the HGZ, pretty cold 500mb temps/steep 700-500 mb lapse rates, moderate amounts of 0-6km bulk shear, I mean the SHIPs speaks for itself 5A5889C4-3B0D-4311-AF2E-C619756A9009.pngreposted here since I saw the other thread ends today, lol

Geez I hope the NAM 3km is wrong, sounding on Sunday would support very large/damaging hail, large CAPE, especially at the the HGZ, pretty cold 500mb temps/steep 700-500 mb lapse rates, moderate amounts of 0-6km bulk shear, I mean the SHIPs speaks for itself !!View attachment 19500
It usually is! This just looks like a sloppy set up, lots of slop showers and clouds to not allow a lot of destabilization, either day, IMO

Geez I hope the NAM 3km is wrong, sounding on Sunday would support very large/damaging hail, large CAPE, especially at the the HGZ, pretty cold 500mb temps/steep 700-500 mb lapse rates, moderate amounts of 0-6km bulk shear, I mean the SHIPs speaks for itself View attachment 19501reposted here since I saw the other thread ends today, lol

I bet it'll just be mainly rain here this weekend...again.

It usually is! This just looks like a sloppy set up, lots of slop showers and clouds to not allow a lot of destabilization, either day, IMO

Yeah it’s one of those warm front type things, so your probably right, lots of clouds/showers or even elevated convection, haven’t seen a bad hail storm since May 24th, 2011, got golf ball sized hail with that, saw some penny sized hail days ago

Hope it was ok to do so but I changed the title to include Sunday as well and moved the post from the May thread back over here. I know 5 days is a long time for a thread but severe weather threads in the south are far more different then winter threads. Besides I figured @pcbjr would appreciate the fact that another thread isn't started for the Sunday threat. :)

Hope it was ok to do so but I changed the title to include Sunday as well and moved the post from the May thread back over here. I know 5 days is a long time for a thread but severe weather threads in the south are far more different then winter threads. Besides I figured @pcbjr would appreciate the fact that another thread isn't started for the Sunday threat. :)
I'll bite my tongue ... LOL ... In all seriousness, no prob keeping up Wiki, just sometimes it seems that threads get started for far less than significant events ... but Wiki will stay current ... ;)
The idea of merging and extending a thread, as done here, makes imminent and eminent sense!

Last edited:
Hmm, if the hrrr was to hold, a few isolated spin ups would be possible tommorow, especially with backing winds around sfc-1km like this, llvl shear is weak tho, so multicellular clusters would be more likely, even if CAPE lacks a bit, likely gonna put down some heavy rain tho with large PWATs, I’d take it at this point A08F0218-7585-45A9-95AE-E03DDB7E6308.png

Nam 3km still hinging on a large hail threat in parts of NC/SC sunday, plume of steep mid level lapse rates with some surface heating + large low level moisture is the reason for large cape based off the Nam, even if cloud cover was to never break up, 1000-2000 jkg of SBcape would still be likely, the thing tho is that this sounding is saturated 0BC1DABC-B9A2-4F23-ADA0-FC1F930E37E8.png

Nam 3km still hinging on a large hail threat in parts of NC/SC sunday, plume of steep mid level lapse rates with some surface heating + large low level moisture is the reason for large cape based off the Nam, even if cloud cover was to never break up, 1000-2000 jkg of SBcape would still be likely, the thing tho is that this sounding is saturated View attachment 19509
The backdoor front needs to be watched this weekend for some spin ups as well. Any west to east moving storm that can ride along that boundary will have a tendency to rotate

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The backdoor front needs to be watched this weekend for some spin ups as well. Any west to east moving storm that can ride along that boundary will have a tendency to rotate

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It’s supposed to stay hung up in VA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s supposed to stay hung up in VA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple solutions get it into the area and needs to be watched for eastern NC. This is from morehead city overnight disco.

11/00Z NAM/GEM_regional has
backdoor cold front dipping into the nrn tier of counties and
Albemarle sound by Sunday evening, and if this happens, we may
see a tornado risk develop with decent helicity vals in place in
vcnty of the stalled front. The EMCWF/GFS keeps the front to
the north of the VA/NC border.

A couple solutions get it into the area and needs to be watched for eastern NC. This is from morehead city overnight disco.

11/00Z NAM/GEM_regional has
backdoor cold front dipping into the nrn tier of counties and
Albemarle sound by Sunday evening, and if this happens, we may
see a tornado risk develop with decent helicity vals in place in
vcnty of the stalled front. The EMCWF/GFS keeps the front to
the north of the VA/NC border.

Got this interesting line of storms that looks like it’s bowing out a lil north of Greenville SC, lets see what it can do, maybe it could start more storms to it south if it collapses

Back