• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

May 2021 Discussion Thread

True. I actually felt bad for him because really is one of the best mets out there. But concerning the drought, I think he could of held off the drought language this early on.
Yep May 2019 was just alike even wrt the drought monitor and we were fine in June/July

But they are completely different ag wise and as far as water requirements.
Exactly I don't think their cash crops are peanuts, cotton, tobacco and corn..... maybe I'm wrong though. I usually just glaze through here and don't comment but some times I just can't let it go. There is a legit agricultural concern (whether too dry or too wet) right now many peanut farmers are concerned their peanuts are going to come out of the ground. Cool and dry = no bueno for peanut germination. Anyway enough of my old farming rant back to lurker... lol

I just wish Brad P was a little more optimistic because he's already mentioning summer drought. And he knows his stuff.
I agree that Brad knows his stuff, but let’s just back up from the drought talk for a moment. Brad P. was talking heavy about a summer long drought in May 2019 when the flash drought was going on, and we saw that end very quickly by mid June. As has been said, May has just been a dry time of late even when we’ve been staying in wet patterns. As far as the heat that is building, it does appear we will still see moisture available so I won’t be suprised to see some decent pop up late day storms especially as we get into June.

NWS confirmed two separate tornado touchdowns in North Dallas.

One was an EF-0 and the other was an EF-1.

I agree that Brad knows his stuff, but let’s just back up from the drought talk for a moment. Brad P. was talking heavy about a summer long drought in May 2019 when the flash drought was going on, and we saw that end very quickly by mid June. As has been said, May has just been a dry time of late even when we’ve been staying in wet patterns. As far as the heat that is building, it does appear we will still see moisture available so I won’t be suprised to see some decent pop up late day storms especially as we get into June.
I'm still hoping it turns out like 1989. The last part of May that year was hot and dry, but come June 4 of that year everything changed and the summer was very wet. Another great example was 1994. A hot and dry May that very quickly changed in June. That big change came with a 7 inch rainfall here over about 4 hours on a Sat night.

I'm still hoping it turns out like 1989. The last part of May that year was hot and dry, but come June 4 of that year everything changed and the summer was very wet. Another great example was 1994. A hot and dry May that very quickly changed in June. That big change came with a 7 inch rainfall here over about 4 hours on a Sat night.
If I remember correctly there was bad mountain flooding that year around the July 4th and the wet summer and saturated ground helped contribute to the number of trees that were uprooted during Hugo

If I remember correctly there was bad mountain flooding that year around the July 4th and the wet summer and saturated ground helped contribute to the number of trees that were uprooted during Hugo
Correct. Also down into Oconee county SC too, but not as bad as in NC. I think parts of Burke and Caldwell counties got it the worst.

Yep May 2019 was just alike even wrt the drought monitor and we were fine in June/July

I've also seen years where it's been dry start to sort of feed off itself. Less rain means a harder drier ground less humidity for storms to feed on and it acts like a oven and we get hotter and super dry as summer progresses.

Anyone pushing for more than this little bought of heat and dryness next week needs to MOVE to the desert where they can be happy .. and I need to move to the North Pole
We average 91 degrees in July and 53 days over 90 a year . I don’t think I need to go anywhere to get my heat, 140 days over 80 a year on average as well. Your complaining about what our normal summer weather is ! As for dryness nah no one wants that, and I think and pray we will be ok . As @SD said it’s may , our wet season doesn’t start yet .

Back