• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Laura

Euro has been absolute garbage with this storm. But this solution is probably quite close to reality.
Completely agree..... somebody else mentioned the other day, Euro has struggled with genesis but once it latches on it seems to then take the lead

I like the location of the Euro for landfall(maybe 20-30 miles South and west) but not the intensity.

She better shed that dry air in addition to the shear rather quickly over the next 12 hours if she's going to get that strong. Also, given the distance traveled in the GOM you're probably looking at 1 ERC which will expand the wind field but keeps the storm less intense around the center but does give a bigger wind field overall.

I like the location of the Euro for landfall(maybe 20-30 miles South and west) but not the intensity.

She better shed that dry air in addition to the shear rather quickly over the next 12 hours if she's going to get that strong. Also, given the distance traveled in the GOM you're probably looking at 1 ERC which will expand the wind field but keeps the storm less intense around the center but does give a bigger wind field overall.
I think an ERC is a legit possibility, but only if she starts strengthening rapidly fairly soon.

I think an ERC is a legit possibility, but only if she starts strengthening rapidly fairly soon.
Right, worst case scenario is what the Euro is painting, delayed RI and right up until LF, not allowing time for any ERC to be a somewhat saving grace here.

Also, keep in mind SW shear is forecast to increase as she approaches the coast and I have my doubts models have a great analysis of that scenario. Assuming winds remain out of the SW near the coast, if strong enough they will tilt the storm and cause her to weaken a little. I don't think it would be huge but 10-15 MPH could be difference between CAT 2 vs CAT 3

Been studying the satellite imagery....It almost looks like the storm is travelling along in 2 parts. like cogs in a clock? The Northern part has a counter clockwise (cyclonic spin) while the southern part seems to have a clockwise (anticyclonic) spin. It almost seems like the southern part is pushing the northern part to the north?

Latest 12z euro is a blue ridge shredder. Deepens offshore Virginia with backside winds in the mtns. Blasts northern NC and all of Virginia with severe weather Saturday evening. Maybe 10 miles north of previous run but same impacts if not worse. 511C2D22-FB02-402F-AD24-E579DBD837CE.jpeg

Any chance we can keep the inland effects in the August thread as to not clutter up this thread with stuff that's 4 days away instead of a near term disaster along the gulf coast?
I see what you're saying, with all the MBY comments from some in the Carolinas re: the storm's remnants. But Laura should still be a tropical storm as she goes through Arkansas. Aren't there a few on this board from that state? I guess the main thing is to keep things relevant. Other than myself, there aren't that many on this forum that would directly be impacted by Laura's landfall.

I see what you're saying, with all the MBY comments from some in the Carolinas re: the storm's remnants. But Laura should still be a tropical storm as she goes through Arkansas. Aren't there a few on this board from that state? I guess the main thing is to keep things relevant. Other than myself, there aren't that many on this forum that would directly be impacted by Laura's landfall.
Yep we have few and far posters near landfall might as well post it all here. The COC is still intact through Tennessee and redevelops sub 990mb near Virginia Beach could be a hurricane again on the east coast.

Any chance we can keep the inland effects in the August thread as to not clutter up this thread with stuff that's 4 days away instead of a near term disaster along the gulf coast?
I agree I think anything for Tn/NC/SC should go in the August thread at least through landfall or have a Laura inland impacts thread that can be merged post landfall

Back