• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Laura

This isn't too precise, but I used Pino Gordo, Cuba for the location of the red circle and Santa Lucia, Cuba as a mid point of the tracks in the ensemble and found the distance between the two towns.

That red circle is roughly 40 milles southwest of the mid point of the tracks in the ensemble.

Not really a single one in Louisiana

I was really hoping I was wrong about the west shifts but it's not looking very likelyFB_IMG_1598339306006.jpg

...LAURA NOW FORECAST TO BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE OVER THE
NORTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO ON WEDNESDAY...
...ADDITIONAL HURRICANE WATCH AREA ISSUED FOR PORTIONS OF TEXAS...

SUMMARY OF 400 AM CDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...22.9N 85.7W
ABOUT 85 MI...140 KM NW OF THE WESTERN TIP OF CUBA
ABOUT 680 MI...1095 KM SE OF LAKE CHARLES LOUISIANA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...65 MPH...100 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 290 DEGREES AT 17 MPH...28 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...995 MB...29.39 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Tropical Storm Watch from South of Port Bolivar to San Luis
Pass has been changed to a Hurricane Watch.

We got an M point

034427.png

After a westward jog earlier, Laura is estimated to be moving
west-northwestward again or 290/15. The synoptic situation consists
over a large ridge near the southeastern United States and a
weakness in the ridge over Central Texas due to an inverted trough.
Laura should gradually gain latitude and turn to the northwest and
north-northwest over the next two days while it is steered between
those two features, move northward late this week through the
southern United States, then move quickly eastward across the
eastern U.S. over the weekend as it encounters the mid-latitude
westerlies. The majority of the guidance has shifted a notable
distance to the west on this run, perhaps due to a weaker trough
over Texas and a more westward initial position of Laura (possibly
due to persistent northerly mid-level shear). The new NHC
prediction is at the eastern edge of the new guidance envelope since
I don't want to bite off on such a large change on just one set of
model runs. But since the storm has been tracking west of forecast
expectations for quite some time, future westward track adjustments
could be required later today.

Laura is forecast to move over the very warm and deep waters of the
Gulf of Mexico, with similar or lighter shear conditions through
the next couple of days. Now that an inner core appears to be
trying to form, conditions appear ripe for at least steady
intensification, and rapid intensification is becoming more likely
before landfall. In fact, almost all of the explicit guidance
models, save the statistical-dynamical models, are showing a period
of rapid strengthening at some point during the next couple of days.

Thus, the new NHC forecast is higher than the last one, but not as
high as the most of the regional hurricane models since shear could
increase just before landfall.

Will be interesting to see when and where this storm eventually turns northeast/East after landfall. Looks like the heaviest precip is West of my location, for now.

Right now it seems everything is pointing to Laura becoming a major hurricane and going further west than the NHC track shows. I hope folks in Texas are prepared.

I am afraid they are underestimating the intensification prospects as it has some VERY warm and deep wter to traverse with virtually no shear to constrict it. I look for a landfall just west of the Tx/La border with a 935MB pressure and 135-140mph winds

I am afraid they are underestimating the intensification prospects as it has some VERY warm and deep wter to traverse with virtually no shear to constrict it. I look for a landfall just west of the Tx/La border with a 935MB pressure and 135-140mph winds
You’re probably correct... I see that the NHC has it as a major at landfall now on its forecast track. With the environment that it will be in and the water temps it has to take advantage of, it is hard to see this not being a Category 4 at landfall... really the only thing that prevents that is a well timed ERC within the last few hours before it hits. Something else to keep in mind is how quickly it’s moving... nearly 20mph and that motion is expected to continue...so anywhere to the right of where the storm makes landfall gets that forward speed added to the wind speed.

Remember this? I’m so thankful that I don’t invest the time into tropical systems that I do with winter systems, because the run to run variability is insane. This thing is now trending to Texas and it looked like this not so long ago. Weather is crazy!A06F42FE-E60D-494B-81CD-4A9F392C34E9.jpeg

Remember this? I’m so thankful that I don’t invest the time into tropical systems that I do with winter systems, because the run to run variability is insane. This thing is now trending to Texas and it looked like this not so long ago. Weather is crazy!View attachment 47196

That’s why tracking weather is so much fun. Because it is a challenge to predict. Models is just like a hammer and a screwdriver there your tools. But you still have to know how to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back