• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

anyone got updated rain totals then?
Here as of 2pm
91d0e703cb556f639c065baff040c80b.jpg
fc97a0a8e9b8fa22ef7ae78f6133d83f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is this also the worst flooding ever for New Bern?
I'll have to check for surge. The Trent and Neuse
River basin is in between the Cape Fear River basin to the south that feeds Pamlico Sound and the Tar and Roanoke River basin to the north that feeds the Albermarle Sound. New Bern probably had record river flooding from Floyd along with the Tar River basin that catastrophicly flooded the Northern Coastal plain. Floyd was historic and devastating, but spared the southern coastal plain basins. They flooded but not historic. Mathew 2 years ago did a major number on central and southern coastal plain basins. It will be bad in New Bern from the Neuse and Trent, but the Cape Fear in my opinion will be close to record setting in Wilmington latter this week. I'm at the begining of their basin and have had atleast 6 to 10 in my county if not more. Then it goes above 30 inches all the way to Wilmington. So not looking good. SD and Bricks runoff feeds the Neuse into New Bern. Over 3/4ths of my total rain has fell since noontime today. Poured is an understatement and it's just let up in the last hour. Lot of water on the way downstream.

Last edited:
Been an active morning, this one cell has prompted 3 different tornado warnings, confirmed damage and tornado on the ground...

Tornado Warning
Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Raleigh NC
708 AM EDT MON SEP 17 2018

NCC065-127-195-171130-
/O.CON.KRAH.TO.W.0024.000000T0000Z-180917T1130Z/
Nash NC-Edgecombe NC-Wilson NC-
708 AM EDT MON SEP 17 2018

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 730 AM EDT FOR EAST
CENTRAL NASH...WEST CENTRAL EDGECOMBE AND NORTH CENTRAL WILSON
COUNTIES...

At 708 AM EDT, a confirmed tornado was located over Elm City, or 10
miles southwest of Rocky Mount, moving north at 15 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Radar confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage
to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree damage is
likely.

Locations impacted include...
Rocky Mount, Elm City, Sharpsburg and Tar River Reservoir.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

To repeat, a tornado is on the ground. TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a
basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy
building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in
a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect
yourself from flying debris.

Woken up by Florence's last stampede over Chatham County. Per RAH... Can't wait to see the actual totals, but looks like that tight gradient I kept seeing didn't set up over me.
2c048006dc84b423a0b1b1cf59ca7d9f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Damage reported near Elm City where a tornado was spotted. Driving back from the Y this morning, and the clouds just have that look like they could start rotating any minute.

And of course it is raining again, which is going to just make it worse for folks in New Bern with the Neuse filling up.

Looks like it could be a long day with tornado warnings. Durham is the only one around that did not cancel school today, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting to get close to home...

Tornado Warning
Tornado Warning
NCC065-083-127-171215-
/O.NEW.KRAH.TO.W.0026.180917T1140Z-180917T1215Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
740 AM EDT MON SEP 17 2018

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Northeastern Nash County in central North Carolina...
Northwestern Edgecombe County in central North Carolina...
West central Halifax County in central North Carolina...

* Until 815 AM EDT

* At 740 AM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located near Dortches, or near Rocky Mount, moving north at 25
mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

Starting to get close to home...

Tornado Warning
Tornado Warning
NCC065-083-127-171215-
/O.NEW.KRAH.TO.W.0026.180917T1140Z-180917T1215Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
740 AM EDT MON SEP 17 2018

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Northeastern Nash County in central North Carolina...
Northwestern Edgecombe County in central North Carolina...
West central Halifax County in central North Carolina...

* Until 815 AM EDT

* At 740 AM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located near Dortches, or near Rocky Mount, moving north at 25
mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.
I thought that was getting close to your house

Yeah basically heading up I-95 Corridor towards my Direction but I'm not seeing any rotation with it now. Thankfully looks as if it has weakened

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just drove through that cloud on I-95 that was freaking awesome, I swear I could see the rotation right over my head but it does appear to have weakened and obviously no warning at this time. Good thing to headed right dead for my house

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Moving into Granville County now. Crazy how the storms look to be riding straight up the Durham and Wake County line.

Just thought this was interesting...

This is the river gage for the Deep River near my old home in High Point, NC. The river is already back below flood stage but it set a record last night of 15.44 feet (old record was 10.9 feet). My thoughts and prayers are with everyone effected by this storm. One of my friends was showing pictures on Facebook a neighbor took of his flooded neighborhood, including his house, near Florence, SC. They evacuated so they are unsure of how bad the damage is.

hipn7_hg.png

Sun trying to come out in Raleigh. Not sure if that is good or bad right now.

Had an employee who lives on the Deep River over towards High Point. Not good news this a.m. as you can see.

Attachments

• 16616.jpeg
    16616.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 59
I have seen some pics on Facebook of some bad flooding in Durham, and they still had school today. It's way worse there than in Wake. Durham really dropped the ball on that decision.

Yes they did. Watching videos of Durham County buses driving through moving water and barely seeing the tops of the tires is not a good sight. Hopefully students, drivers, and all faculty got to the schools safely in spite of the terrible decision.

Yes they did. Watching videos of Durham County buses driving through moving water and barely seeing the tops of the tires is not a good sight. Hopefully students, drivers, and all faculty got to the schools safely in spite of the terrible decision.

I saw someone say on Facebook that students had to be rescued off a bus.

At least the tornado warnings are over with this morning.

And now it's pouring down rain here after the sun came out after it poured down rain the first time.

Back