• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Delta

I bought a handheld anemometer/barometer/thermometer from Amazon right after Laura, so maybe I'll get to post actual wind obs from my location in Baton Rouge for this storm. This looks to be tracking a similar path to Laura, just a few clicks further east, so closer to me this time. I'll try to keep everyone updated as I'm able to.

...NOAA AND AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTERS REPORT DELTA HAS
STRENGTHENED...
...HURRICANE CONDITIONS AND LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE EXPECTED
TO BEGIN ALONG PORTIONS OF THE NORTHERN GULF COAST ON FRIDAY...

SUMMARY OF 1000 AM CDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...24.0N 92.7W
ABOUT 400 MI...645 KM S OF CAMERON LOUISIANA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...105 MPH...165 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 310 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...968 MB...28.59 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

A Storm Surge Warning is now in effect for the Texas coast from
High Island to Sabine Pass.

A Hurricane Warning is now in effect for the Texas coast from High
Island to Sabine Pass.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for...
* High Island Texas to Ocean Springs Mississippi including
Calcasieu Lake, Vermilion Bay, Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Maurepas,
and Lake Borgne

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for...
* High Island Texas to Morgan City Louisiana

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* West of High Island to San Luis Pass Texas
* East of Morgan City Louisiana to the mouth of the Pearl River,
including New Orleans
* Lake Pontchartrain and Lake Maurepas

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...
* East of the mouth of the Pearl River to Bay St. Louis Mississippi

The big question is does Delta go for a Laura v. 20 or does it veer NE just before landfall. It would make a difference for populated areas like Lafayette and Baton Rouge. The ridge currently holding Delta on the NW heading should weaken this evening and tonight, allowing for the curve north, then northeast. How fast the ridge weakens is going to be key.

I totally forgot the Lake Charles radar is still down how lovely(it was basically destroyed in Laura's eyewall)

Beyond today, the latest forecast track from NHC for Delta has
shifted a little farther to the west and is a little slower, with
the hurricane now expected to make landfall near Creole late
tomorrow afternoon or early evening, roughly 13 miles or so east
of where Laura came ashore on Aug 27. Sigh.

I hate to wish this storm on anybody, but why can't the storm veer NE just before landfall to spare Lake Charles another direct hit? I'd be glad to take one for the team if someone had to.

I totally forgot the Lake Charles radar is still down how lovely(it was basically destroyed in Laura's eyewall)

Beyond today, the latest forecast track from NHC for Delta has
shifted a little farther to the west and is a little slower, with
the hurricane now expected to make landfall near Creole late
tomorrow afternoon or early evening, roughly 13 miles or so east
of where Laura came ashore on Aug 27. Sigh.

Heard on TWC that they were going to send down a dopplar on wheels from Oklahoma so they could have some radar coverage in that area.

I hate to wish this storm on anybody, but why can't the storm veer NE just before landfall to spare Lake Charles another direct hit? I'd be glad to take one for the team if someone had to.

Instead of wishing the storm on anyone. why not just wish it to weaken? That would truly be something that would be a net benefit to your fellow Louisianans. I'm sure most in your area do not want any part of this. So, there's nothing noble about wishing it to you area. Of course, the wishing has no impact, regardless. But if you somehow had the power, why not just have it weaken?

Heard on TWC that they were going to send down a dopplar on wheels from Oklahoma so they could have some radar coverage in that area.

Hopefully that's gonna suck regardless I wasn't even thinking about that til I tried to load it on radarscope

Instead of wishing the storm on anyone. why not just wish it to weaken? That would truly be something that would be a net benefit to your fellow Louisianans. I'm sure most in your area do not want any part of this. So, there's nothing noble about wishing it to you area. Of course, the wishing has no impact, regardless. But if you somehow had the power, why not just have it weaken?
Well said. It's like seeing a car veering toward a crowd of people and hoping it misses those people and hoping maybe you take the hit. Why should anybody have to? Why can't the car screech to a stop in time? A weak storm would be nice to track without lives and property threatened.

God please let the euro be right we need rain
c3cb18b98353b8ab72f5ac13231dbcf7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massive pressure drop on the first pass from the AF plane. Last pass from the prior plane had a drop of 967 mb and this pass has extrapolated down at around 955 mb. In addition, the SW eyewall winds have picked up.

And the pass completed and FL winds in the NE quad are at a solid cat 4 intensity of around 120 knots.

Back