• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Delta

We already saw it go from a cat 1 to a 4 in less than 24 hours. Wouldn't be surprised to see it blow up to at least a cat 3 again at landfall.

Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate
that the maximum sustained winds are near 85 mph (140 km/h) with
higher gusts. Re-strengthening is forecast when the hurricane moves
over the southern and central Gulf of Mexico through Thursday, and
Delta is expected to become a major hurricane again. Some weakening is forecast as Delta approaches the northern Gulf coast on
Friday.

151609.png

Last edited:
Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate
that the maximum sustained winds are near 85 mph (140 km/h) with
higher gusts. Re-strengthening is forecast when the hurricane moves
over the southern and central Gulf of Mexico through Thursday, and
Delta is expected to become a major hurricane again. Some weakening is forecast as Delta approaches the northern Gulf coast on
Friday.

View attachment 49905
Is it seriously gonna strengthening to a cat 3 again moving at that pace?

I think it has already previously peaked and will not regain the cat4 status
I wouldn’t be so sure I think other factors were at play before that ended up to its weakening but I believe we could get a more clear eye to pop overnight and if that’s the case it’s off to the races for at least the next 12 hours or so .. cat 4 could be tough but never underestimate the gulf combination with tropical systems

36 mile wide eye!!

URNT12 KNHC 080001
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL262020
A. 07/23:45:00Z
B. 22.32 deg N 090.15 deg W
C. 700 mb 2874 m
D. 974 mb
E. 075 deg 16 kt
F. OPEN NE
G. C36
H. 69 kt
I. 024 deg 14 nm 23:41:00Z
J. 105 deg 94 kt
K. 024 deg 14 nm 23:41:00Z
L. 71 kt
M. 222 deg 13 nm 23:49:00Z
N. 327 deg 71 kt
O. 223 deg 17 nm 23:50:00Z
P. 12 C / 3044 m
Q. 18 C / 3056 m
R. 10 C / NA
S. 12345 / 7
T. 0.02 / 0.75 nm
U. AF309 1126A DELTA OB 06
MAX FL WIND 94 KT 024 / 14 NM 23:41:00Z
;

I wouldn’t be so sure I think other factors were at play before that ended up to its weakening but I believe we could get a more clear eye to pop overnight and if that’s the case it’s off to the races for at least the next 12 hours or so .. cat 4 could be tough but never underestimate the gulf combination with tropical systems
Whether it gets back to cat4 or not, you can already tell it has a bigger circulation and wider wind field than it did before going over land. This is going to lead to a larger area of coastal effects

Will this intensify fast again? I think we're starting to already see it intensify again. Its old eye was small and unstable. New one is larger and more stable probably in addition to having a true wind field. Pressure is dropping again so it's going to intensify for sure. I wouldn't rule out another burst of RI if the eye shrinks and pressure drops more.

As big as this storm gonna be any wobble to the east will effect even more for Bama

Delta suppose to slow a bit while at the north turn in the far western gulf but can it actually turn sooner? I understand its hitting Louisiana but seems to slow a bit and maybe feeling the effects of the trough out west? Maybe a early turn?

Delta suppose to slow a bit while at the north turn in the far western gulf but can it actually turn sooner? I understand its hitting Louisiana but seems to slow a bit and maybe feeling the effects of the trough out west? Maybe a early turn?

Models are pretty much unanimous on a track toward western LA and then moving NNE from there for a good 200 miles or so. Rarely does such model agreement occur.

Based on analogs and what the storm is now doing, I'm quite concerned that there will be a cat 3 H hit on LA despite the cooler shelf waters.

Back