• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Living Wage

So, should the federal minimum wage be immediately raised from $7.25/hr to $15/hr? If so, why? If not, why not? If not $15, is there a better number it should be immediately raised to? If you don't want it up at $15 immediately, is there a certain timeframe you'd be ok with it getting there? TIA

So, should the federal minimum wage be immediately raised from $7.25/hr to $15/hr? If so, why? If not, why not? If not $15, is there a better number it should be immediately raised to? If you don't want it up at $15 immediately, is there a certain timeframe you'd be ok with it getting there? TIA
If minimum wage goes to 15$ an hour, the costs to do business will go up, so cost of living will go up. I mean do you really want to pay 6.75$ for a McDouble at McDonald’s

Last edited:
Start at 10 then gradual to 15.

Or the states can deal with it since 15 an hour in Miss ain’t 15 an hour in NY. Raising the cost of doing business in Miss is not a good idea since things are cheaper and incomes lower . plus it would destroy the town of chalybeate springs , do you really want to ruin a town one of our esteemed admin lives in ?

A long gradual rise is needed if anything. Basically doubling it will cripple businesses. The money has to come from somewhere so prices will go up. My liberal Econ professor taught us week one that a minimum wage is bad using simple graphs.

the real question is, how many people do each one of us know that actually make minimum wage? I know 0. This debate in politics just shows how ignorant and stupid our elected officials really are. Just like a tax system, we should have a simple algorithm that takes the census data and it computes a minimum wage based on the county you live in. $15 an hour is garbage in most major cities while a decent wage in rural areas. It would likely destroy small businesses in rural areas. All fast food would go automated as much as possible while hiring college graduates, thus causing more harm. I’m really starting to believe one political side wants to seriously contain small businesses because they can’t control them or their wealth.

the real question is, how many people do each one of us know that actually make minimum wage? I know 0. This debate in politics just shows how ignorant and stupid our elected officials really are. Just like a tax system, we should have a simple algorithm that takes the census data and it computes a minimum wage based on the county you live in. $15 an hour is garbage in most major cities while a decent wage in rural areas. It would likely destroy small businesses in rural areas. All fast food would go automated as much as possible while hiring college graduates, thus causing more harm. I’m really starting to believe one political side wants to seriously contain small businesses because they can’t control them or their wealth.
Zero for me.

Honestly I much rather do an automated touch screen at a fast food place...

If minimum wage goes to 15$ an hour, the costs to do business will go up, so cost of living will go up. I mean do you really want to pay 6.75$ for a McDouble at McDonald’s
You do realize the cost of living & business has already been steadily rising within the past decade without wage compensation? Since 2009, the cost of a house has gone up 72K. Nearly 1-2K at secondary education locations. Prices of Milk & Meats have all gone up. (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Collegeboard, U.S. Census Data).

For many people living in the underdeveloped South, low income areas, and areas with overall low opportunity, it leaves them little to no option.
Plenty of options. Online schooling, trade school etc. all I hear are excuses. I grow up in a low income aka poor ass area. If you want it you work to get it at all cost.

Plenty of options. Online schooling, trade school etc. all I hear are excuses. I grow up in a low income aka poor ass area. If you want it you work to get it at all cost.
I’m not listing excuses, just genuine conditions in which millions live under. It’s always possible to escape poverty, but the economic climate and general division in America makes it nearly impossible to. Working yourself to death doesn’t always and shouldn’t always be the awnser to everyone’s rational problems.

I’m not listing excuses, just genuine conditions in which millions live under. It’s always possible to escape poverty, but the economic climate and general division in America makes it nearly impossible to.
I get it but to me those are excuses people make that don’t have the drive to improve his/ her life. Nothing is impossible when you live in the USA. plenty of avenues you can take if your willing to take them. Yes life is harder for some but that just makes it sweeter when you accomplish your goals. Rags to riches is a wonderful thing but it takes hard ass work and sacrifices that sometimes hurt.

Back