• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Living Wage

What’s does everyone consider a decent living annual salary?

• 20,000-30,000

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • 40,000-60,000

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • 80,000-100,000

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • 125,000+

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters

GaWx

Supporter
Reaction score
So, should the federal minimum wage be immediately raised from $7.25/hr to $15/hr? If so, why? If not, why not? If not $15, is there a better number it should be immediately raised to? If you don't want it up at $15 immediately, is there a certain timeframe you'd be ok with it getting there? TIA

Tarheel1

Reaction score
So, should the federal minimum wage be immediately raised from $7.25/hr to $15/hr? If so, why? If not, why not? If not $15, is there a better number it should be immediately raised to? If you don't want it up at $15 immediately, is there a certain timeframe you'd be ok with it getting there? TIA
If minimum wage goes to 15$ an hour, the costs to do business will go up, so cost of living will go up. I mean do you really want to pay 6.75$ for a McDouble at McDonald’s

Last edited:

Rosie

Supporter
Reaction score
Start at 10 then gradual to 15.

Lickwx

Get Licked Buddy!
Reaction score
Or the states can deal with it since 15 an hour in Miss ain’t 15 an hour in NY. Raising the cost of doing business in Miss is not a good idea since things are cheaper and incomes lower . plus it would destroy the town of chalybeate springs , do you really want to ruin a town one of our esteemed admin lives in ?

EmersonGA

Reaction score
A long gradual rise is needed if anything. Basically doubling it will cripple businesses. The money has to come from somewhere so prices will go up. My liberal Econ professor taught us week one that a minimum wage is bad using simple graphs.

J.C.

Reaction score
the real question is, how many people do each one of us know that actually make minimum wage? I know 0. This debate in politics just shows how ignorant and stupid our elected officials really are. Just like a tax system, we should have a simple algorithm that takes the census data and it computes a minimum wage based on the county you live in. $15 an hour is garbage in most major cities while a decent wage in rural areas. It would likely destroy small businesses in rural areas. All fast food would go automated as much as possible while hiring college graduates, thus causing more harm. I’m really starting to believe one political side wants to seriously contain small businesses because they can’t control them or their wealth.

NoSnowATL

Reaction score
the real question is, how many people do each one of us know that actually make minimum wage? I know 0. This debate in politics just shows how ignorant and stupid our elected officials really are. Just like a tax system, we should have a simple algorithm that takes the census data and it computes a minimum wage based on the county you live in. $15 an hour is garbage in most major cities while a decent wage in rural areas. It would likely destroy small businesses in rural areas. All fast food would go automated as much as possible while hiring college graduates, thus causing more harm. I’m really starting to believe one political side wants to seriously contain small businesses because they can’t control them or their wealth.
Zero for me.

Bham 99

Reaction score
Honestly I much rather do an automated touch screen at a fast food place...

Cadi40

Reaction score
If minimum wage goes to 15$ an hour, the costs to do business will go up, so cost of living will go up. I mean do you really want to pay 6.75$ for a McDouble at McDonald’s
You do realize the cost of living & business has already been steadily rising within the past decade without wage compensation? Since 2009, the cost of a house has gone up 72K. Nearly 1-2K at secondary education locations. Prices of Milk & Meats have all gone up. (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Collegeboard, U.S. Census Data).

NoSnowATL

Reaction score
For many people living in the underdeveloped South, low income areas, and areas with overall low opportunity, it leaves them little to no option.
Plenty of options. Online schooling, trade school etc. all I hear are excuses. I grow up in a low income aka poor ass area. If you want it you work to get it at all cost.

Cadi40

Reaction score
Plenty of options. Online schooling, trade school etc. all I hear are excuses. I grow up in a low income aka poor ass area. If you want it you work to get it at all cost.
I’m not listing excuses, just genuine conditions in which millions live under. It’s always possible to escape poverty, but the economic climate and general division in America makes it nearly impossible to. Working yourself to death doesn’t always and shouldn’t always be the awnser to everyone’s rational problems.

NoSnowATL

Reaction score
I’m not listing excuses, just genuine conditions in which millions live under. It’s always possible to escape poverty, but the economic climate and general division in America makes it nearly impossible to.
I get it but to me those are excuses people make that don’t have the drive to improve his/ her life. Nothing is impossible when you live in the USA. plenty of avenues you can take if your willing to take them. Yes life is harder for some but that just makes it sweeter when you accomplish your goals. Rags to riches is a wonderful thing but it takes hard ass work and sacrifices that sometimes hurt.

Tarheel1

Reaction score
Weather people should make under minimal wage and get tips if they get a forecast right! Maybe they’d get some ---- right! They’ve gotten lazy!

Downeastnc

Reaction score
You do realize the cost of living & business has already been steadily rising within the past decade without wage compensation? Since 2009, the cost of a house has gone up 72K. Nearly 1-2K at secondary education locations. Prices of Milk & Meats have all gone up. (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Collegeboard, U.S. Census Data).
This is something people over look, the prices at most fast food places/small businesses have increased steadily over the last 10-11 yrs however the federal min wage has not.....in that same time the cost of living has gone up 20%, so businesses have been able to increase prices but maintain low employee overhead....so businesses raise prices to keep up with COL increases but not their employees wages.....

Reaction score
The key is to make money and it never goes. Saving money is great but you need to grow the money you make. Buying and house, property, investments etc. The worst place to keep your money is on a bank. I got lucky in my early 20s buying property for the land it was on. The key is to never pay taxes on the investment you buy so you are always buying and Selling which makes you money but it’s not real money you can spend because it’s always going to the investment and turn so you keep that train moving and if you’re doing it right you growing your portfolio with bigger investments each time.
May I ask what exactly you did in your early 20s?

NoSnowATL

Reaction score
May I ask what exactly you did in your early 20s?
My 1st real job after college I worked with land Acquisitions. I was able to take some good advise from some smart people about what to buy and how to determine what properties are good buys. Land is gold these days.

Lickwx

Get Licked Buddy!
Reaction score
My 1st real job after college I worked with land Acquisitions. I was able to take some good advise from some smart people about what to buy and how to determine what properties are good buys. Land is gold these days.
Dang it you durned anti tree person! smh! Selling land for these cheap neighborhoods then escaping further out cuz you ain't want to be near em!