• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Late July 2021 Significant Heat Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
So even if we’re just paying attention to heat index, what 95% of the south is experiencing the next couple days is not unusual… in fact it’s expected to happen at least several times a summer
In sorry but a heat index of 115 is unusual.

Not in the areas that might say that

By every definition a HI > 115 is UNUSUAL for ANYONE in the SE.

Most of the stations have averaged only .1-.2 days with HI>115 in the last 45 years. That is 5-10 days of 115 HI for the last 45 years. A day with HI of 115 is quite literally a 1 in 5-10 year event for the vast vast majority of the SE.

MRCC - Climatologies: Heat Index (illinois.edu)

You can see below the 115 line is at 0% probability.
Birmingham AL.pngATL HI.pngCLT HI.pngRDU HI.png

Last edited:
Stop talking about things you don't research. By every single definition, map, and chart a HI > 115 is UNUSUAL for ANYONE in the SE.

here is the Proof and a link. Most of the stations have averaged only .1-.2 days with HI>115 in the last 45 years. That is 5-10 days of 115 HI for the last 45 years. A day with HI of 115 is quite literally a 1 in 5-10 year event for the vast vast majority of the SE.

MRCC - Climatologies: Heat Index (illinois.edu)

You can see below the 115 line is at 0% probability.
View attachment 87331View attachment 87330View attachment 87332View attachment 87333
Please forgive me as I removed the post. When I read the first post, I thought it said a 105 heat index… not 115. Yes a heat index of 115 in the areas that they are occurring isn’t something that occurs most years. Sorry for the confusion… I will still say that in terms of actual temperatures, which is what our official records are based on, what’s occurring today through Friday is still not at all unusual and can be expected to occur multiple times a summer.

Please forgive me as I removed the post. When I read the first post, I thought it said a 105 heat index… not 115. Yes a heat index of 115 in the areas that they are occurring isn’t something that occurs most years. Sorry for the confusion… I will still say that in terms of actual temperatures, which is what our official records are based on, what’s occurring today through Friday is still not at all unusual and can be expected to occur multiple times a summer.

Ah I see haha I removed some of the aggressive words in my post. I saw the whole feed as just stubborn arguing but I understand that was not your intention.

you are right. The actual temps arn't going to be anything absurd. Very likely the hottest days of our year! Which I guess we can take as a win since we haven't seen so much heat.

This summer has been very cool for my area as far as high temperatures. I still haven't hit 90 yet. Only 3 years in the last 50 went without a single 90 reading in Erwin. I'll likely hit 90 here in the next 72 hrs though.

Ah I see haha I removed some of the aggressive words in my post. I saw the whole feed as just stubborn arguing but I understand that was not your intention.

you are right. The actual temps arn't going to be anything absurd. Very likely the hottest days of our year! Which I guess we can take as a win since we haven't seen so much heat.

This summer has been very cool for my area as far as high temperatures. I still haven't hit 90 yet. Only 3 years in the last 50 went without a single 90 reading in Erwin. I'll likely hit 90 here in the next 72 hrs though.
I have only had one 95 IMBY so far and that was the last week in May, normally by now I would have seen at least 8-10 of them. The high dewpoints have been consistent though all summer as I have experienced a number of afternoons where the lowest the dewpoint has gone has been around 70… I usually see it mix down into the mid 60s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back