• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Late July 2021 Significant Heat Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like there could be widespread 95-100 temps across much of the south. Could Atlanta possibly hit 100 ?

I'll eat my treadmill if KATL hits 100. Too moist soils for that. Let's see what happens.

Maxar, everyone's favorite, thinks ATL's hottest of the next 2 weeks will be 95 (Thu and Fri).
They have ATL/RDU/MEM having their hottest days on Thu and Fri with 95 at ATL and RDU and 96 at MEM.
They have DFW at 102 Sat and Sun.

What do others think for these cities' hottest of the next 2 weeks (over, under, or right on these hottest day forecasts of 95, 95, 96 and 102)?

@SD already thinks over for ATL and RDU per the July thread.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just found this thread and I’m trying to figure out why we have a thread for a heatwave when we’re only looking at two days of 95-100 and the back to and even below average. There is absolutely nothing unusual about these temperatures the next couple days.

I just found this thread and I’m trying to figure out why we have a thread for a heatwave when we’re only looking at two days of 95-100 and the back to and even below average. There is absolutely nothing unusual about these temperatures the next couple days.
Because the south is a big place and some locations will be 100+ for multiple days. Some locations could have their first 100 in many years.

Because the south is a big place and some locations will be 100+ for multiple days. Some locations could have their first 100 in many years.
Sorry but I’ve just pulled up the forecasts for RDU, CLT, Columbia, ATL, Birmingham, Memphis, Little Rock, and DFW. The only places that are forecasted by the NWS to hit 100 are Columbia for one day (nothing unusual), DFW for 2 days (even less unusual), and Little Rock for a day (again nothing out of the ordinary). Heatwaves are longer than two days of a few degrees above average heat.

Sorry but I’ve just pulled up the forecasts for RDU, CLT, Columbia, ATL, Birmingham, Memphis, Little Rock, and DFW. The only places that are forecasted by the NWS to hit 100 are Columbia for one day (nothing unusual), DFW for 2 days (even less unusual), and Little Rock for a day (again nothing out of the ordinary). Heatwaves are longer than two days of a few degrees above average heat.
We're also going to have an extended period of sunshine and lightning bugs. Lots of robust discussion about that topic in another thread.

Thank you ! I swear some people have short term memory and on Jan 1 each year just forget all the weather of last year and start expecting weird stuff .

Could be a heat index of 115 in parts of MS tomorrow. That is unbelievable.
That is not unbelievable .... NC has had 120s for heat indexes at times , let alone Mississippi. I cant recall if there was some estimated 130s here one year or not , but regardless nothing “ unbelievable” about 115 heat index in miss of all places !

That is not unbelievable .... NC has had 120s for heat indexes at times , let alone Mississippi. I cant recall if there was some estimated 130s here one year or not , but regardless nothing “ unbelievable” about 115 heat index in miss of all places !
I get the feeling some people on this board wouldn't be impressed unless the heat index was 150.

Interested in seeing the temps the next few days. GSP has exceeded 95 on just 12 days since July 2016. 8 of those were 96, three were 97, and one 98. 2 of the 97 and the 98 were during the October heat wave of 2019, which was aided by lower dews. I am seeing forecasts for GSP to reach 97-99 depending on where you look.

2 other quick notes: AVL reached 90 today for the first time this year. Also, CAE has not reached 100 since October 4th 2019; a long drought for them.

I think the Heat Index is going to be awful around here, but hey it's late July...lol. but I don't think I even hit 100....The ground water levels are very high right now.

I think the Heat Index is going to be awful around here, but hey it's late July...lol. but I don't think I even hit 100....The ground water levels are very high right now.
If the weather stations and mine around here have been right, we've been hitting between 105 and 109 the last several days since our dews have been in the 70s and the humidity stays well above 50 to 60 percent. The temps have been between 94 and 92

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back