• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

July Fry 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sea level places in the state of Victoria in Australia have seen snow which is a pretty rare occurrence despite those places having latitudes around 36-38 south.

Sea level places in the state of Victoria in Australia have seen snow which is a pretty rare occurrence despite those places having latitudes around 36-38 south.
Bottom line is those of us at a lower latitude in the US should be thankful we get as much snow as we do given how many other places at the same latitude can go almost a lifetime without snow.

Bottom line is those of us at a lower latitude in the US should be thankful we get as much snow as we do given how many other places at the same latitude can go almost a lifetime without snow.
Yeah the eastern us north of about Charleston is cold for the latitude , while even south of Charleston occasionally gets far colder than anywhere else for the latitude. It’s still not the coldest for the latitude , look at east Asia where everything is about 5 degrees further south in terms of climate . Raleigh would have a climate like nyc if not a tad colder even if it were in east Asia. Now , everywhere else in the world is far warmer for the latitude . Raleigh anywhere else on the globe would average highs in the low 60s during the heart of winter and never see a low below 25.

Dewpoints in AL really got out of hand today. Upper 70s in Montgomery and Dothan. I can barely tolerate a dewpoint of 65 !

KATL had only its 8th 90+ YTD today, which is well below normal for this date. However, they appear to have a string of low to mid 90s on the way. There's still no heatwave in sight thanks to ample soil moisture that hopefully continues to get replenished at least every few days.

KATL had only its 8th 90+ YTD today, which is well below normal for this date. However, they appear to have a string of low to mid 90s on the way. There's still no heatwave in sight thanks to ample soil moisture that hopefully continues to get replenished at least every few days.
For me personally I consider 5+ days of 90+ to be a heat wave but I guess everyone has their own definition of a heat wave.

Yeah the eastern us north of about Charleston is cold for the latitude , while even south of Charleston occasionally gets far colder than anywhere else for the latitude. It’s still not the coldest for the latitude , look at east Asia where everything is about 5 degrees further south in terms of climate . Raleigh would have a climate like nyc if not a tad colder even if it were in east Asia. Now , everywhere else in the world is far warmer for the latitude . Raleigh anywhere else on the globe would average highs in the low 60s during the heart of winter and never see a low below 25.
Yeah when you look at different climate averages around the world, you really see how important the ocean currents are to the world’s weather. For example, despite the high latitude of Ireland and Great Britain, they are typically spared extreme cold due to ocean currents nearby originating in warmer areas

Yeah when you look at different climate averages around the world, you really see how important the ocean currents are to the world’s weather. For example, despite the high latitude of Ireland and Great Britain, they are typically spared extreme cold due to ocean currents nearby originating in warmer areas
I honestly think Gainesville, FL probably gets as cold as London in an average year in terms of lowest mins.

Everyone's "favorite" lol, the all-knowing Maxar, says in this morning's 15 day forecast that these are the hottest days for selected cities as the SE is hotter today:

KATL: 95 on 8/2
KRDU: 95 on 7/31 and 8/4
Memphis: 97 on 7/31 and 8/2
KDFW: 101 on 7/25-8, 8/1-2

Anyone want to do an over or under vs these forecasts for the hottest during the period through 8/4?

Today's update for hottest of next 15 days
Atl: 94 on 7/31
Rdu: 94 on 7/28 and 8/1
Mem: 96 on 8/1 and 8/5
Dfw: 101 on 7/26-7 and 8/2-4

So, they have Dfw the same as yesterday, but they cooled Atl, Rdu, and Mem by one degree.

Last edited:
Yeah and of course being on the western side of a continent versus eastern side, very poleward landmass vs not ( Australia for example is not poleward and SA as well doesn’t have significant poleward landmass ,NA has lots of poleward landmass as does Eurasia ), and having high mountains vs not . The mildness of Western Europe was commonly thought to be mainly due to the Gulf Stream but recent studies showed most of the heat is transported through the jet steam , it’s actually thanks to the nature of the Rocky Mountains and physics . Of course , Gulf Stream still is somewhat responsible as well even if it isn’t the greatest reason .

For me personally I consider 5+ days of 90+ to be a heat wave but I guess everyone has their own definition of a heat wave.
For most of the Carolinas and northern GA, The NWS typically considers 3+ days of 95+ highs to be a heat wave. You got to remember that for ATL, GSP, CLT, and Columbia…90 is 1-3 degrees below average highs right now

I honestly think Gainesville, FL probably gets as cold as London in an average year in terms of lowest mins.
London’s averages in D,J,F are lows in the upper 30s and highs in the upper 40s. Obviously there’s not much of a spread due to the short amount of daylight and a typically high amount of cloud cover… so really their winters are very similar to Seattle

Wouldn’t shock me if we see some transient supercells fire off the Lee trough the next 2 days, especially toward the evening, each evening Hodographs slightly enlarge and get some nice streamwise vorticity to them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back