• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern July '22

What if you were without power for 48 hours in that kind of heat you are dealing with now.

That's when you either strip naked in the house (I live alone), go to the pool/beach/waterpark or sit in the car under A/C.

And if you're sitting under the car A/C or at the pool/beach/waterpark, you don't need to weigh yourself down with layers of clothes/coats.

That said, Texas' grid hasn't had any widespread brownouts so far. It can obviously handle extreme heat much better than extreme cold, since wind turbines and transformers aren't frozen stiff from frost accumulation.

In theory, the low would be 86*F ar DFW (another record maximum), but of course a couple of rogue rain showers has billowwd up across the Metroplex. So that might take a hit.

One of those rogue rain showers did graze the eastern edge of DFW's airfield this morning, but fortunately it wasn't enough to knock down the temp.

86*F also ties the highest daily min in recorded history, going back to 1898. I wouldn't be surprised if that 86*F is broken tomorrow morning.

86 on 7/27/2018

86 on 8/16/2011

86 on 8/4/2011

86 on 8/3/2011

86 on 7/26/2011

Also, it is now the hottest day of the year at DFW with a current temp of 108*F. Record high is 110*F set back in 1980, which might be tied or broken.

That's when you either strip naked in the house (I live alone), go to the pool/beach/waterpark or sit in the car under A/C.

And if you're sitting under the car A/C or at the pool/beach/waterpark, you don't need to weigh yourself down with layers of clothes/coats.

That said, Texas' grid hasn't had any widespread brownouts so far. It can obviously handle extreme heat much better than extreme cold, since wind turbines and transformers aren't frozen stiff from frost accumulation.
I hear ya. I guess just dealing with power outages in the past I got along a lot better when the power was out in the cold to when it was knocked out by a severe thunderstorm in the summer for 48 hours or so and the inside temp is pushing 100 degrees inside and all your food has went bad and your just trying to stay alive and get some relief if you can. Mid March Blizzard of 93 I was with out power for two weeks and temperatures down around zero for two nights, then the teens and twenties the next week. Heated and cooked off wood stove and then went to kerosene the last few days before the power came back on and was as snug as a bug in a rug those two weeks. To each their own. I respect your passion for the heat, as I have the same passion for the cold.

I hear ya. I guess just dealing with power outages in the past I got along a lot better when the power was out in the cold to when it was knocked out by a severe thunderstorm in the summer for 48 hours or so and the inside temp is pushing 100 degrees inside and all your food has went bad and your just trying to stay alive and get some relief if you can. Mid March Blizzard of 93 I was with out power for two weeks and temperatures down around zero for two nights, then the teens and twenties the next week. Heated and cooked off wood stove and then went to kerosene the last few days before the power came back on and was as snug as a bug in a rug those two weeks. To each their own. I respect your passion for the heat, as I have the same passion for the cold.
I think they both would equally suck and after a few days I'd be finding a hotel either way. I've only been 3 days without power. That was in the Jan 2000 snow down in Newberry SC. And it was only 7.8 inches of snow, at least in my yard. Some areas had over a foot in the county. The sad part is that is still the biggest snowfall I've ever measured in my yard at any location I've lived. Pitiful by NC standards and even north GA standards I know! But that's how we roll in SC. If you want big snows upstate SC isn't the place. We're either too far east like March 93 or too far west to get big moisture from coastal storms.

I think they both would equally suck and after a few days I'd be finding a hotel either way. I've only been 3 days without power. That was in the Jan 2000 snow down in Newberry SC. And it was only 7.8 inches of snow, at least in my yard. Some areas had over a foot in the county. The sad part is that is still the biggest snowfall I've ever measured in my yard at any location I've lived. Pitiful by NC standards and even north GA standards I know! But that's how we roll in SC. If you want big snows upstate SC isn't the place. We're either too far east like March 93 or too far west to get big moisture from coastal storms.

For me, while they both suck, it's a question of which sucks less.

And without contest, it's the heat.

Wouldn't it be even hotter under the car beneath the AC unit? ?‍♂️

You can only take off so many clothes. You can always add more. I hate all long term outages but winter is much more bearable.

Isolated storm just missed me to the southeast, but it made for a pretty perspective with the setting sun behind me. Outflow shaved off 8 degrees in 15 minutes too

20220718_195732.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 88, let us never forget! Biggest snow, of my life, and will probably stay that way!

Jan 88, let us never forget! Biggest snow, of my life, and will probably stay that way!
That Jan 88 snowstorm was a beast. That was one of my favorite snowstorms. Got 15 inches out of that one. Tied for 2nd with the Jan 82 snowstorm with 15 inches also, only behind the 93 blizzard with 16.5 inches not counting the 2-4ft drifts scattered through out the yard. Not to bad for a county that borders the upstate of sc.

Yeah. There both bad. I know man. It's tough to get those big snows in the upstate. I'm almost right there with you most of the time. I've been on the losing side more than not in the winter. I'm 12 miles north of Chesnee off 221 in Rutherford county. It's amazing what those 12 miles can do in the elevation department. I remember playing in a basketball tournament in Jan of 03 in Peach Valley just south of Chesnee and it started snowing that evening and we had a good inch or two on the ground at the house and I thought they would cancel but they didn't and I get down there and you could barely tell there might of been a dusting in shady areas and it had all turned to rain down there. When I leave to go home once I get back into NC over the state line the roads are snow covered and there is about 6 inches on the ground once I got home. Crazy what those 12 miles will do going north. If I go just a little farther north it's like double what I get. I remember that January 2000 snow real good. It was a big one for us also. I got 11 inches out of that one. For you to get 7.8 inches all the way down to Newberry SC that was a huge one down there to. Probably the last time that has happened down there in 22 years I would imagine. Where we're you in the 93 blizzard and how much do you get? I heard there was a sharp cutoff on the accumulations once you got into SC during the blizzard.

It's possible with the power grid... I still have friends down there and it's been a daily concern. There's gotta be a limit to the heat and theres still August to go which is usually the hottest month
And it doesn't look any better in the long range out your way unfortunately. I would hate to be working outside in that or almost doing anything. How much humidity do you have out there with this heat.

Back