• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

I’m not great at reading the the H5, and really need to work on it, but was that run not isanely close to a boardwide bomb?

Getting this to dig farther west is a good thing. Think we just need another shortwave to drop down the backside of the trough to achieve better tilt at the end. Models could easily miss on something like that this far out
That's probably what's going on. I'll bet in a lot of these cases, you see these big storms and then some of the energy that is key to the system gets lost for a couple of days or so and then gets back on the grid and guess what? You see the storm start showing up again.

I’m not great at reading the the H5, and really need to work on it, but was that run not isanely close to a boardwide bomb?
1642977173274.png
See the energy around Lake Superior? As Grit just mentioned, we need something to go down the back of the trough to tilt it some so it can go negative, if that or another pocket of energy streams down sooner and/or further west, that would do the trick.

On that run you add some tilt and it’s gonna explode
That's probably what's going on. I'll bet in a lot of these cases, you see these big storms and then some of the energy that is key to the system gets lost for a couple of days or so and then gets back on the grid and guess what? You see the storm start showing up again.

What an amazing jump on the ICON which is exactly what we need to see a larger storm. Pinch off the northern stream TPV a little more to get it to cut off and tilt negative.
View attachment 109986

I’m confused. Wouldn’t the TPV separating and pulling North remove our source of cold air? Aren’t we usually rooting for the TPV to come close enough to provide the cold air?

View attachment 110002
See the energy around Lake Superior? As Grit just mentioned, we need something to go down the back of the trough to tilt it some so it can go negative, if that or another pocket of energy streams down sooner and/or further west, that would do the trick.
Yeah, troughs don't tilt negatively if there are troughs behind it -- that screwed up this run.

I’m confused. Wouldn’t the TPV separating and pulling North remove our source of cold air? Aren’t we usually rooting for the TPV to come close enough to provide the cold air?
We're rooting for the TPV to get out of here so the wave can tilt negatively. Typically shortwaves that cut off from the TPV at the last minute do a good job of supplying cold air.

Haha you ain’t kidding. Look how similar yesterday’s 18z GFS was to today’s 18z run. Same players in almost the same position, just slightly different strengths.

5C420BE4-246D-4FDD-BCAC-770979443E1E.gif

Back