• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

For what it’s worth and not complaining, here on Greensboro we have 6” for the season with an 8” average. So yes, we’re doing well, but not exactly hitting it out of the park. If we got nothing else, it would be a bit disappointing. The best part is that the 2 last storms were very cold with temps generally in low/mid 20s.
TW
Not trying to single you out but just using this post as an example as I see so many people showing what their old seasonal snowfall averages use to be. The truth is most of us out of elevation even in the far northern parts of the south are averaging around 6 inches snowfall. Nashville just updated theirs and it’s a sad 4.7 inches a year. For my exact area it’s probably between 6-7 inches and that’s due to almost 1,000 feet of elevation and 20 minutes south of Kentucky. I’m not sure how correct this is but I pulled this up for your area and looks like your are already above your seasonal averag snowfall. 3906D022-6E37-48D4-B4A4-CA27AECB4144.jpeg
Edit: This total may not be exact as I checked mine and it’s using Nashville‘s totals. I noticed this happens a lot as my town is so small that they use Nashville’s climate which is a mistake because of micro climates and what not.

Same positive trend here on the EPS at day 5

HQfCGLM.gif

Not trying to single you out but just using this post as an example as I see so many people showing what their old seasonal snowfall averages use to be. The truth is most of us out of elevation even in the far northern parts of the south are averaging around 6 inches snowfall. Nashville just updated theirs and it’s a sad 4.7 inches a year. For my exact area it’s probably between 6-7 inches and that’s due to almost 1,000 feet of elevation and 20 minutes south of Kentucky. I’m not sure how correct this is but I pulled this up for your area and looks like your are already above your seasonal averag snowfall. View attachment 109759
Edit: This total may not be exact as I checked mine and it’s using Nashville‘s totals. I noticed this happens a lot as my town is so small that they use Nashville’s climate which is a mistake because of micro climates and what not.
NOAA has us (GSO which is 5 miles away) at 7.1, down from 8.7. Not sure where the 4.9 is coming from, but that isn’t accurate as far as a seasonal norm. TW

This memorable/great week of SE wx (easily the best in 4+ years in terms of general cold for all and wintry for many including TWO significant events for many just 5 days apart) was (largely) brought to you by the combo of +PNA and MJO inside circle and despite no -AO or -NAO:

1. +PNA:

pna.sprd2.gif

2. MJO inside circle: (SE has tended to be colder on average, especially in January, when MJO inside rather than outside especially left side):rmm.phase.Last40days.gif

It was done without the help of -AO, -NAO, or -EPO (EPO has been neutral overall):

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

Back