• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

It’s not often you see places in the south with so much more snow for the season then places 4 or more hours further north. I mean it’s mid January so it’s been a very impressive winter so far for the southeast. Indianapolis getting the shaft real hard! Edit: This is the total seasonal snowfall for the US so far. I don’t believe it includes snow from overnight.
DFD0CDFF-9D2E-4DAB-AC08-22730EC865EC.png

Last edited:
All things considered, this is surprising...

View attachment 107305
I'm not surprised at all. Our lows have been near average while we have been spiking above average for highs on many days, especially during early January. I think we end about average overall. I also think that the rest of January is a North Carolina winter. I don't see much hope for Atlanta and south, though I'm hoping Savannah gets some sleet and snow this weekend! Most of that storm will be east of me, I think.

View attachment 107305
I’m not suprised by this… keep in mind that the first 3 days of the month were still at the end of that late December pattern… my temperature was above 60 until about 6am on the morning of the 3rd. Then after that we were mostly close to average until this last few days. I expect after the next week, those yellows over the Carolinas will start to be replaced by some blues

View attachment 107305

Others have already said so, but the reason it's above average is because of early in the month. It's kind of crazy to think about though, the new year started out in the 80's and considering what the models are showing, there is a good chance that a lot of the yellow and orange is gone in the end.

I'm a big fan of this look.
View attachment 107366
I remember when I said “it would be cool if we had a year where every Wednesday or so we have a winter weather event to track” well we’re on our way to two one last weekend one this upcoming weekend and then now maybe another mid next week? Good lord. This could be a benchmark stellar winter after this pattern

Lol even with a GOA/Aleutian ridge
Coming back on the EPS, there’s a trough signal in the east, looks like we’re gonna shorten wavelengths around this time. This basically means we might have more one storm
Opportunity near this timeframe as well 87357AA1-11C6-4DF4-AFFC-14265A9F18BD.png7DC347E0-C122-4A00-AF51-985A44CC3680.png

I feel like we’re gonna thru with a very similar process thru feb as we did in mid-late December, just like how mid December did, you can signs of building sfc high pressure in east Asia with the the low moving away near Scandinavia, and the semi permanent okhotsk low in place, basically another precursor pattern building cold in Nw Canada 43819D5E-BCB2-4F08-BADD-74872E6C4674.png

I feel like we’re gonna thru with a very similar process thru feb as we did in mid-late December, just like how mid December did, you can signs of building sfc high pressure in east Asia with the the low moving away near Scandinavia, and the semi permanent okhotsk low in place, basically another precursor pattern building cold in Nw Canada View attachment 107379
Euro control said hold my beerecmwf-ensemble-c00-nhemi-z500_anom-3716800.png

sfct.us_ma.png

Y’all see the end of the euro??

The new Euro weeklies are significantly colder for 2/5-12 in the E US vs the prior run and are THE coldest yet for that period with solid BN! Keep in mind that even way out on 2/12, normals are only about 2 F warmer than now. Plus, 2/12 is near THE peak of snow climo for the SE.

So, if this is accurate, we still have a minimum of nearly 4 more weeks of interesting winter wx! Plus, the weeklies have been trending colder for 1/20-2/12 for the last few runs. Thus, there’s a good chance that at least that period will continue to trend even colder on later runs.

Back