• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

We’re trying to build heights over the -NAO region western based too so that’s nice to help slow things down and try and make something happen later .. once again though we’re stuck on pivotal ?89EA6DAA-77C1-4137-A459-6C88D7EB0037.jpeg

I hear you fro, it has really been almost impossible to get the cold to materialize, especially east of the mtns the past couple of years. We know what happened last Feb and so far this year there has been a lot of cold around the country but it still hasn't come east of the Apps, with the only real exception being the snow in VA last week.

So far this cold weather season (Nov to present) GSP's lowest temp has only been down to 25 (and that was Nov) and the lowest highs only down to 45. For CLT the lowest numbers have been 23 and 45. For RDU its 24 and 41. Let's be honest, those are incredibly wimpy cold numbers and will not produce snow outside of a perfectly timed system, and those are rare. The pattern since Jan 2018 has basically been for the cold to always dump West of the Apps. It is great seeing the cold modeled for us but it has to progress inside of fantasy range and actually materialize. Kicking the can down the road runs us into Spring eventually. I am hopeful that we'll get some of this cold for real, then maybe we'll have something to track on our side. Gotta have the cold if we want snow. It is nice to see the cold at least modeled, but again, it has to materialize. We'll see what happens.

Bit of a disgression, but downtown Charleston's low temp so far this season is 38F. The microclimate on that peninsula thanks to the moderating temps of being surrounded by Cooper and Ashley rivers is fascinating. Gives you wintertime lows (and the associated flora) more akin to north-central Florida. They didn't even hit freezing last winter (lowest temp was 35F).

I talked to a meteorologist at CPC about the lack of teleconnection indices the last two days. Here is an email I sent him for documentation (he asked me to do this) and which summarizes the problem.

“Thanks for calling me back. I'm sending you this email as documentation of what I called you about. The normally daily updated PNA, AO, NAO, and MJO have not updated the last two days. I monitor these daily and was calling to find out the problem. I don't recall ever seeing two days in a row of no updates. You told me that it was based on an NCEP system issue and that it should be resolved by Sunday or Monday.
I'm not a meteorologist but have learned a lot and do follow weather every day as a hobby.
If you have any further updates, please feel free to email me.”

While we wait for the GFS to decide to progress, the CMC has the ICON in its corner lol.
gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_23.png

I talked to a meteorologist at CPC about the lack of teleconnection indices the last two days. Here is an email I sent him for documentation (he asked me to do this) and which summarizes the problem.

“Thanks for calling me back. I'm sending you this email as documentation of what I called you about. The normally daily updated PNA, AO, NAO, and MJO have not updated the last two days. I monitor these daily and was calling to find out the problem. I don't recall ever seeing two days in a row of no updates. You told me that it was based on an NCEP system issue and that it should be resolved by Sunday or Monday.
I'm not a meteorologist but have learned a lot and do follow weather every day as a hobby.
If you have any further updates, please feel free to email me.”
Man that sucks. I looked at them earlier and didn't pay attention to the date and thought to myself "man that looks great" -NAO, -AO, +PNA, low amp pass through phase 8. Hopefully that's what we get

Back