• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9, 2018 Ice threat

Salt and brine everywhere. Hovering near Freezing from Chattanooga to near Cleveland and falling. Moisture streaming northeast
I'm in Ooltewah. The nearest Wunderground reading in the area is 34* in Flagstone and there are a few others hovering at 32* and 33*. It's currently 34* and cloudy at our house. I'm looking for the temp to drop to 31* once the precip starts and maybe hover at 31*-32* for several hours. If we manage to stay at or just below freezing and have several hours of light rain the roads will probably get pretty nasty around here until early afternoon.

I noticed just west of us Huntsville is in the lower 40's so the southern flow is making it's presence known. If the cold air is partially trapped it could fight off the WAA for awhile. I'm just going to chill out and see what transpires. I don't return to work until Wednesday. We had a pretty sweet winter shutdown at VW. Been off since lunch on December 20th. I could get used to this!

Meh.

ecmwf_frz_rain_se_8.png

^ Regarding the 0Z Euro, the lack of ZR in most of N GA is not for the lack of qpf as it still is as high as 0.50" parts of ATL metro. It is only because the Euro has temperatures warming above 32 for the bulk of the precip. Is that correct? I don't know. It does have a bit of a warm bias at 2m.

Regardless of amounts, all it takes is a thin glaze and roads could become treacherous.

New NAM coming in, really drops the cold out fast. There is precipitation, but after a very quick run through Northern GA and light stuff in Upstate as ZR, its rain. Maybe worse for GA/AL border.

Okay, so far, New NAM much lighter vs 00z for most areas.

Back