• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9, 2018 Ice threat

NAM, RGEM nailed this ice event. We had hundreds of wrecks early this morning all across southeast TN and north GA. Lots of ice all over the place. Real good job short range models. & Still reports of icy roads across certain areas still near freezing. For those who downplayed the event. The multiple people who wrecked their cars disagree. Ice event 1/8/2017 -A

This could of been much worse if it moved in overnight. So glad we are not dealing with the icy roads and power outages. ForsythSnow's ice shield was in full effect here!

There was a 35 car pile up on I-75 this morning that shut down the interstate at my exit for awhile. I guess the roads were pretty nasty after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was what I was warning about all along, even if it wasn't that much precip, where anything fell at all with it still below freezing there was going to be problems on the road. And it happened.

Had a few minutes of rain after the temps got up to 35. Dodged another bullet! But I'd like some rain, and I didn't get any of that either...yet...just a sprinkle for a few minutes. Too far south...unless I'm too far north, lol. Oh, well, the pendulum will swing, and I'll be in the sweet spot some day...then the north will be too far north, and the south will be too far south, lol. Right now I'm just glad to miss the zr.

^ Regarding the 0Z Euro, the lack of ZR in most of N GA is not for the lack of qpf as it still is as high as 0.50" parts of ATL metro. It is only because the Euro has temperatures warming above 32 for the bulk of the precip. Is that correct? I don't know. It does have a bit of a warm bias at 2m.

Regardless of amounts, all it takes is a thin glaze and roads could become treacherous.

Kudos to the Euro having 2 meter temperatures being above 32 for the bulk of the event and therefore very little ZR most of N GA.

HRRR had temps pretty good too. Pretty interesting event in that we started at 17 F and a DP of 0 but there was no wedge at all. By the time moisture got here we were mid 30s and did not wet bulb hardly at all. Cold air just bolted out. It is 32 now and a little icy but nowhere near as bad as it could have been considering how cold the ground is .

Back