• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Yes, please make a map for all of the Carolina's Eric.

If I make a map for the Carolinas this far out, no doubt it's going to be probabilistic and not deterministic. I'm okay w/ making multiple maps for an event as long as I don't have too many deterministic ones because it kind of defeats the purpose. If there's one thing I've learned while tracking storms for this many years a simple model consensus (even if it includes every model known to man) (as I often see many others in this field do) does not cut the chase, in-situ dynamical adjustments are paramount

If I make a map for the Carolinas this far out, no doubt it's going to be probabilistic and not deterministic. I'm okay w/ making multiple maps for an event as long as I don't have too many deterministic ones because it kind of defeats the purpose
I was just meaning when you do make a map to make one for all of the Carolina's or one for SC and another for NC

Eps
3bc63d8655b1c21fbb09b5ed8d24e011.jpg
902b2ae893964edbde92673a132ba594.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like those horrible SREFs just went up. I wonder what the NAM is about to do...Wonder what they look like for NC...(sarcasm included)

Last edited:
I agree, we've definitely been on this train together! FWIW, a few of my met colleagues (who really just started paying attention yesterday) also think the NAM is likely handling the low placement and precipitation shield more correctly.
It's been fun to be honest. I miss that part of the biz, not the politics. Lol. I think we are not done trending either

Does anyone have a SREF snow plume for Atlanta. Lol, I know it's unrealistic expectations for ATL but I just wanna see if there's a chance. May sound crazy that I still think ATL may have a chance..

It looks like those horrible SREFs just went up. I wonder what the NAM is about to do...Wonder what they look like for NC...

At 2 inches now. NAM about to do something crazy...

Does anyone have a SREF snow plume for Atlanta. Lol, I know it's unrealistic expectations for ATL but I just wanna see if there's a chance. May sound crazy that I still think ATL may have a chance..
It's at 0. ALl you got to do is google SREF plumes and it's super easy to figure it out.

Well dang. I didn't wanna face the thought that Savannah of all places could get snow and not the ATL. But it looks like I have to face it. I just don't wanna keep kicking the can for my area because this cold is about to kick out soon on the models.

SREF plumes can’t be trusted at this range. The SREF uses two mesoscale models, ARW and NMB, which are often worlds apart at this range. ARW is very wet leading to the high individual members on the plumes while the NMB is bone dry. They need to be closer together for the SREF to have utility. Until then, you’re basically only looking at one model, the ARW, and discounting the main reason why the SREF is used which is as an ensemble system.

Well dang. I didn't wanna face the thought that Savannah of all places could get snow and not the ATL. But it looks like I have to face it. I just don't wanna keep kicking the can for my area because this cold is about to kick out soon on the models.
The man in Savannah has been all over this, and roots for KATL incessantly; how about a little reciprocity and neighborly well-wishes?

18z NAM is running. 12z was an absolute crush job for southeast Georgia, and eastern SC. Mid to upper 20 surface temperatures, and all snow profile for some. Over a foot of snow possible for those areas. This is going to be one for the history books if the NAM isn't just smoking New Year weed.

SREF plumes can’t be trusted at this range. The SREF uses two mesoscale models, ARW and NMB, which are often worlds apart at this range. ARW is very wet leading to the high individual members on the plumes while the NMB is bone dry. They need to be closer together for the SREF to have utility. Until then, you’re basically only looking at one model, the ARW, and discounting the main reason why the SREF is used which is as an ensemble system.

You are correct but you have it reversed on the mesoscale models. Its the ARW that is dry, at least on what I looked.

The man in Savannah has been all over this, and roots for KATL incessantly; how about a little reciprocity and neighborly well-wishes?
Sorry. I just remembered that in February 2010 both ATL and SAV got snow so I was kinda hoping for that but you're right. This storm is fun to track nonetheless

My comment was only meant as sarcasm and Jon I totally agree with you on this...

Back