• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Yeah the EPS has been known to do that in the extended when we start getting blocks in the NE Pacific (2013-14 for ex)
Yeah that kinda relieves my nerves a little bit, the -NAO gives a bit of a sigh of relief, it was fully + with a +AO, then I’d be panicking since the SER would have a nice area to grow

Euro control trying to make something happen right at the tail end of this cold pattern. It's too warm verbatim but 300 hrs out the general look is there at least as it has been occasionally on the GFS.

1610307672476.png

It’s honestly why I just wanted to stay with a -NAO/+PNA, I’d rather have a low near Alaska and a ridge on the west coast, then to take a risky route like this

I personally route for Pacific-arctic blocking, you can keep the low near-south of Alaska and keep getting the cold transport w/o having to worry about a SE ridge. Trying to get blocking the hard way from underneath in the NE Pacific always involves some sort of risk of SER.

-PNA/-NAO usually produces Miller Bs (if anything) and it's the kind of pattern that's wet overall in the CONUS and where any type of significant hazard is legitimately possible.

It is relevant if a pattern that is supposedly great for producing snow for most folks doesn't produce. Either the pattern really isn't that great and we can't get those patterns anymore, or for some reason the same pattern that used to give us snow in the past just doesn't produce the same now. Either way it sucks for those that don't get anything out of it, and makes it feel more like a crapshoot than anything now.
The thing is though that many places in the south have scored snow so far this winter. Different parts of the south and southeast have seen what like 3 snows already maybe 4? You can have the best pattern in the world and many places in the southeast will not score more then flurries.Yes for sure Some places will score, but the majority will not because it’s the south and everything needs to line up perfectly to get an accumulating snowfall at any one location down here.

I agree with Eric that the pattern is far from a bad one. I have had many days this winter that have not gotten out of the 30s for highs! Temps haven’t been the biggest issue at least for northern parts of the state as southern middle Tennessee still has snow on the ground. Eastern Tennessee has also done great. The biggest problem has been getting enough moisture over us and it looks as if another storm is going to miss us again within the next 24 hours.
The last 2 winters were far worse as even low temps struggled to get below freezing for more then one or two nights at a time.

2d0442b93ab3049d9cca2e3b13b3d2e4.jpg

I’ll take my chances with this look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back