• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 14-16th storm potential.

The southern jog trend is evident now on the GFS and Euro. Still plenty of time to have it continue and put more of Upstate SC and CTL metro into play?
Love to see those continue but one consideration to keep in mind is that we are losing the wheelhouse for the global models. I would feel way better if the short range models were in agreement so we have to see what the next 24 hrs show on both sets. If they jump on the southern side as they get more into their ranges then we may have something.

The southern jog trend is evident now on the GFS and Euro. Still plenty of time to have it continue and put more of Upstate SC and CTL metro into play?
Cold air is going to be an issue on the immediate Lee side of the apps. ENC with a shot if they can develop that coastal low.

1705428000-tWlwJljNmBs.png

Not seeing much in the way of trends for the little coastal system from the Euro but if my memory serves me correctly it didn’t do well picking up the Jan 22 2022 system
The trend of more cold press/lower heights out ahead of the the initial band isn't helping with the trailing vort. Essentially leaves less room for any amplification.

Cold air is going to be an issue on the immediate Lee side of the apps. ENC with a shot if they can develop that coastal low.
Disagree; every south tick with that band of precip is ticking temps lower in the 850mb range too... Surface is sufficiently cold/dry on Monday with the airmass in place as well to support snow if we get enough precip to wetbulb.Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 1.30.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-13 at 1.34.49 PM.png

Last edited:
Disagree; every south tick with that band of precip is ticking temps lower in the 850mb range too... Surface is sufficiently cold/dry on Monday with the airmass in place as well to support snow if we get enough precip to wetbulb.
?‍♂️ in my experience the cold is almost always late when it’s coming from the west. At least just south of 85. The usual suspects on the north side of the upstate can do ok in marginal setups

?‍♂️ in my experience the cold is almost always late when it’s coming from the west. At least just south of 85. The usual suspects on the north side of the upstate can do ok in marginal setups
In this setup with the initial band of precip we aren't waiting for cold air to come over the apps. The airmass in place is sufficiently cold.

Any potential precip that comes the following day with the trailing vort, we could have issues b/c we do need some CAA since we warm up a little in between. Our goose is cooked on that threat anyways I think. Sans some lee-side meso miracle.

We will be headed to Gatlinburg tomorrow thru Wednesday! Kids are excited and I’ve got to see

Sucks but reality with how narrow that swath of snow is there is going to be big time winner/losers on the northern and southern edges in MS-AL-TN-GA.

Goes from nothing to 3-4 inches in 50 miles or less
Yeah and 50-75 mile shift makes a massive difference

Not seeing much in the way of trends for the little coastal system from the Euro but if my memory serves me correctly it didn’t do well picking up the Jan 22 2022 system
You are correct. It also did poorly with the January 3-4, 2018 coastal… even on the day of that one it never got moisture west of I-95 when the highway 1 corridor got 1-4”

Back