• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

January 11th and 12th Severe Weather

Well the last line is moving through now and it's pathetic. The cold air is still way back in MS. Still five more hours to wait for it. Highest wind gust was 8.5mph. Oh, well, soon I'll be at home in front of a crackly fire, a cold one in hand and a good book in the other.
My temp went up to 46.4 last hour, but has since dropped back to 45.9. Weren't they forecasting us to get close to 60? Maybe thats later tonight, as you said, the cold air is still about 6,000 miles away.

Another 1.1" from this mess though, however.

If weather is privatized, it would be for the best. At least we would not have access to models to live and die by every run.

Yes, but this is a huge bust and reputation killer. They presented the threat like it was going to be spring like severe weather outbreak for what turned out to to be a typical southern winter rainy day. Will anyone remember? Are they going to tune out the warnings next time? I'm already fielding calls from friends and family asking me if the forecast is real or not. That tells me people are already very skeptical of the government weather service. It's probably time to privatize it. The most accurate service gets the money.
Yeah, talk about egg on face, well the same thing will more than likely happen next week with snow and or ice as well.

Love it up there. I’m jealous man
Yeah if only you knew what I was doing up there. Lol Building a new septic tank system with the drain field on the side of a slope. The wind at that elevation makes it brutal. But I do enjoy seeing a few flakes especially after not seeing a single one last year.

My temp went up to 46.4 last hour, but has since dropped back to 45.9. Weren't they forecasting us to get close to 60? Maybe thats later tonight, as you said, the cold air is still about 6,000 miles away.

Another 1.1" from this mess though, however.
Mine is down to 52.5 after a high of 55. Forecast was like 61 or so. The wedge never really eroded all the way. Wedge 2, low pressure 0 for 2024. added another .70" now up to 5.89" for January.

Mine is down to 52.5 after a high of 55. Forecast was like 61 or so. The wedge never really eroded all the way. Wedge 2, low pressure 0 for 2024. added another .70" now up to 5.89" for January.
Get ready for your daytime high here soon. The wind just shifted and is hauling the warm air in. I'm up 4 degrees in 15 minutes. We are going to make a run at 50 yet.

Charleston area had an unbelievable airmass recovery today/this evening with several decent lightning makers, brief heavy rains (storms were hauling ass). One had some broad rotation, not enough to warrant a warning and not much wind mixed down, but actually surprised at the light show put on by this evenings thunderstorms.

Well I finally got some wind. Guess I can say they were right about getting RAIN and a smidge of wind. SMH. I wouldn't want to be a meteorologist these days. What do they have to work with?

Back