• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

January 11th-12th Southern Slider

Still a lot of winter left to go. Remember that Jan 15-Feb 15 is typically the best time to see snow in North GA.
Oh, I’m definitely not going winter cancel. Just can’t recall the last time we saw a gulf low on the perfect track and heavy snow in TX, LA and MS and we get shafted in NGA. Im sure it’s happened but that formula historically delivers for us.

Getting about 90/10 rain/sleet here, hopefully this isn’t the only frozen precipitation I see this winter but I’m pretty sure it’s already more than last year

Beating an extremely dead horse here, but this storm is yet another great example of why you gotta respect overrunning & warm advection

Most models completely whiffed on this over Alabama and were way too dry because they underplayed both, GFS being one of the biggest offenders.

View attachment 64958

Here's the 12z 3km NAM 700 hPa analysis showing clear signatures of warm advection & overrunning.

1610378825938.png

Oh, I’m definitely not going winter cancel. Just can’t recall the last time we saw a gulf low on the perfect track and heavy snow in TX, LA and MS and we get shafted in NGA. Im sure it’s happened but that formula historically delivers for us.
It has happened to us in the nineties for sure. I remember many times that it snowed in MS/LA and we got nothing. It's almost always a thread the needle setup. The best setup I can recall would be like 1/28/2014. Cold in place at all levels and over-running moisture.

Watching it snow on Signal Mountain again from my porch. 37 and rain down here. Getting ridiculous.

Back