• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

Here is some of the reports I found out around
The Carolinas and Tennessee.

Storm Reports:

North Carolina:

Seeing a report of 11" in Yancey Co at 4360' near Wolf Laurel (9am)

Beech Mountain didn't disappoint and it's still coming down. 23°F at 5500' 4 to 6 inches depending where you are.

• NC-197 (NC 197S), Near Ewart Wilson
• South of Burnsville / Both Directions
• Yancey County
Weather Event: Local Traffic Only
Approach to bridge on NC 197S washed out. Temporary bridge installed for local traffic only.

• NC-90 (W Main Ave), Near Old Wilkesboro Rd
• In Taylorsville / Both Directions
• Alexander County
Weather Event: Road Closed with Detour
NC 90 (W Main Ave) is closed and detoured in Taylorsville due to a downed utility pole and lines.

NC-62 (NC 62), Near Johns Pointe Court
• In High Point / Both Directions
• Guilford County
Road Obstruction: Road Closed
tree blocking the road near 3230 NC 62

US-70 (US 70), Near Rock Creek Dairy Road
• In Whitsett / Both Directions
• Guilford County
Road Obstruction: Road Closed
tree blocking the road on US 70 at Rock Creek Dairy Road

NC-902 (NC 902), Near Chatham Central High
• West of Goldston / Both Directions
• Chatham County
Weather Event: Road Impassable
Road Impassable - Flooding

US-64 (US 64), Near Renaissance
• West of Pittsboro / Heading West
• Chatham County
Weather Event: Lane Closed
Lane Closed - Downed Tree
1 of 2 lanes closed.

I-40, Near I-440
• Near Cary / Mile Marker 293 Heading West
• Wake County
The right lane are closed near Exit 293 (I-440).
1 of 4 lanes closed.

• I-40, Near Harrison Ave
• Near Cary / Mile Marker 287 Heading East
• Wake County
The left lane is closed due to standing water near Exit 287 (Harrison Ave).
1 of 4 lanes closed.

Tennessee:

Debris on Roadway
State Route 68 Eastbound in Polk - Debris on Roadway at MONROE-POLK COUNTY LINE reported at 8:40 AM 1/3/2022 (Central Time Zone). Eastbound Closed..

Debris on Roadway
State Route 40 Eastbound in Polk - Debris on Roadway at A078 OCOEE WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREA RT. reported at 8:39 AM 1/3/2022 (Central Time Zone). Eastbound Closed..

South Carolina:

Sleet/Rain reported in Taylors and 86/26 interstate change.

Snow mixed with rain reported in Inman/Landrum S.C.

SNOW IN FLORIDA
Residents of Freeport, Florida woke up to a rare round of flurries thanks to last night’s cold front!

Per James Spann. It actually snowed early this morning in Okaloosa County Florida.

THUNDERSNOW IN ROANOKE VA!!! The first in decades according to lightning records.

Washington D.C. is shutdown - Government and schools due to winter weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow - they also had a TOG there yesterday. That’s a lot of living in the panhandle in 24 hours!

Honestly if this banding keeps up I could see solid rates for maybe an hour or so .. already starting to try and stick on roofs

Finally got to see some flakes here as the band was pulling north. I call that a win after this last week. Congratulations to folks getting accumulation. There’s gonna be some odd looking climate records for today. Many locations in the Triad will have measurable snowfall on a day that the high was in the 60s.

We are planning to leave about 5pm, likely taking 1 down to about Richmond, expecting about a 5 hour drive in total back to Greenville. We do not have power, and tree damage is approaching severe, you can hear chain saws in the distance and transformers going. Even inside we can hear the trees snapping.

There is a golf cart in that first image, maybe 700-800’ away.

673F00BC-AE56-4E23-A81E-2835F83EEC05.jpeg52CE38E6-A550-4652-A9D5-4079213A65BD.jpeg

We are planning to leave about 5pm, likely taking 1 down to about Richmond, expecting about a 5 hour drive in total back to Greenville. We do not have power, and tree damage is approaching severe, you can hear chain saws in the distance and transformers going. Even inside we can hear the trees snapping.

There is a golf cart in that first image, maybe 700-800’ away.

View attachment 101576View attachment 101577
Im sure that was well worth the chase!!

Back