• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

TT Note:

"Jan 23: NOAA data downloads are very slow today, resulting in model delays. I'm working to retrieve the data."

Thanks I just saw that...... interesting other sites not having same issue, of course I have no idea how that stuff works.
Yeah, I don't know. I'm guessing he has some proprietary mechanism that pulls the data and populates his algos. I suspect the problem is with that mechanism, rather than being on NOAA's end.

TT Note:

"Jan 23: NOAA data downloads are very slow today, resulting in model delays. I'm working to retrieve the data."

government shutdown?

Not sure if anyone mentioned or heard, but one of my buddies down in south Houston picked up snow/sleet this morning after being near 70F late yesterday evening. Houston only gets trace snow events once every few years, it's his second for the season

yeah that was quite a flip

Euro puts the hammer down, up to 50 below normal in parts of the midwest & Ohio Valley. Our coastal storm in the medium range will play a significant role in the evolution of this end of the month cold snap if one comes to fruition.
download.png

The GFS suite has the mjo meandering through phase 6. The Euro whips it into phase 7 pretty rapidly. That may be why you’re seeing a much warmer GFS and GEFS.
I'm guessing that it will be somewhere in between. The Euro has been underestimating the MJO amplitude all winter. I will guess that it takes a few more days to get to phase 7 than what it currently shows.

Here is my new outlook. I don’t do this for clicks or money. There’s going to be a winter storm at least in the climo areas if euro is right with cold snap. Most winter storms strike as the cold is leaving. I am favoring the first half of February being better than the second half. Watch out north of Charlotte and west of Raleigh. Not a strong snow signal but more of wintry mix setup IMO. In fact, I foresee the rest of the winter featuring no all snow events for most east of the blue ridge. There could still be some 3-6” potential but mixing will rule the rest of the winter. As we enter March, I think a flip could occur to more snow over mixing in the climo areas. More on that later.

Do you think I will get a 4" snowstorm in southeast Wake county? There have been a lot of crows cawing around the area. But I have not yet seen many groupings of blackbirds eating off the ground, with the exception of before the December storm. I have noticed that the squirrels have been burrowing furiously over the last week and a half. One even tore up part of my canvas grill cover and used it for its nest!
I think it’s doubtful at this point. Some snow yes but no all snow events the rest of the winter that Far East. Hope I’m wrong but that December storm will likely be the only widespread snow event for the Carolinas. The rest will feature heavy slop mixed bags bringing snow totals generally under 3”.

LOL! Tony, I know you love rubbing salt in that old wound.

Here's hoping this winter brings you the sleet storm of your dreams my friend. As long as that PV hangs around close enough, you never know. You certainly can't go by model guidance this season. Quite possibly, the worst model performance that I can seem to remember altough I know its probably been worse.
I just use them for entertainment value. If something is showing 3 days out, I get more interested. Or, if Goofy and the Doc are in agreement, but that's not very often..thus the added importance :) I like the new Goofy ok, but it's has the same wild ideas Goofy gets after smoking too much. At least I haven't seen the 0 line in Cuba with the new one yet...but I may have missed it, lol. Thanks for the sleet wishes!!

Back