• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

A few big hits and a nice mean. I would just like to see some storms showing up on the ops, too, and inside 7 days. Everything right now is 10 days and further out.

No it’s not . The 23rd -25th system is Days 8-10 on the op and ensembles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll put it this way...... if you don’t like the pattern we are about to head into, you don’t like weather.... period....

I think it’s only a matter of time before many on here see wintry weather. JS

PS just because an OP doesn’t show torch or snow on it, as others will say, the ENS will lead the way initially while the details will be worked out later with OP runs.
Thank you delta!! Most people pays too much attention to the ops...Wish they could look at the overall pattern. It kinda like a puzzle. That’s why I enjoy it so much.

Something pervasively wrong with GEFS past day 10 with showing blocking. Been doing this for awhile.

EPS vs GEFS. Who do you think will win....

F58AA5AF-1F20-48C0-94DD-4BE810C11565.png22A29B88-A533-456A-8446-7FD8D7C12F49.png

Last edited:
I don’t understand how the gfs does what it did yesterday at 18z. And then loses the high all together. It goes from a 1055 high. To no high at all I mean you’d expect it to show up weaker and weaker but at least still be there. It’s just crazy how things changed In one run.

As quick as an Op run can show a big SE crusher, it can take it away...this was the problem getting excited about the 18z run and I mentioned in banter there would be a drastic change with 00z

The reason is pure chaos. This is why we say follow the ensembles...it’s the rule because ensembles try to account for chaos in a pattern. If ensemble means are bouncing around run to run you know the pattern and modeling of that pattern is very chaotic, so there’s really no reason to even look at operationals. Models have not backed off on this period as a chance for the storm so we are still sitting good.

Put it this way:
Say you win a car I f you hit the bullseye on a target,
An operational run is like shooting one BB Pellet at a bullseye.
The GFS ensemble is like shooting 20 BBs at a bullseye
The EPS is like shooting 50.

Which would you rather trust to help you win?

Why even pay attention to the OP runs if they dont take into account all the chaos? Might as well just look at the ensembles and nothing else.

I don’t understand how the gfs does what it did yesterday at 18z. And then loses the high all together. It goes from a 1055 high. To no high at all I mean you’d expect it to show up weaker and weaker but at least still be there. It’s just crazy how things changed In one run.

It happens the other way around too where the HP magically appears and drives the energy south. The joys of model-watching.

Why even pay attention to the OP runs if they dont take into account all the chaos? Might as well just look at the ensembles and nothing else.
Really great question. The answer is, beyond day 7 or so, you shouldn't...maybe even less.

Ops have better resolution than the individual ensemble members. They are the most useful when the pattern is fairly stable and the range is not too far out. Once you get into a chaotic pattern and/or you're looking farther out in time, the ensemble mean is the best approach. Yes, it smooths out important details that often matter a great deal as to whether or not you get snow in the SE with any particular storm you might be looking at out in time. But they do help to identify periods where their might be a storm as well as depicting how the general nature of the pattern is likely to evolve.

All that said, ensembles are not perfect, especially at longer leads. But they are usually far more stable than the Ops. Also, when you see agreement across ensemble suites, that increases confidence. The reverse is also true.

Last edited:
I mean, OP runs are really good to look at no doubt, but they can be susceptible to wild swings...as y'all know. To answer the question above on how can they models look so different...that just goes to show you if a model amps 1 part of a wave vs the other part, it has a different outcome. So, really, we are playing darts right now with ALL models at this point.

Operationals are only useful inside an appropriate skill range. Not saying to not look at them, but they have pretty bad skill overall this far out. Inside 120 hours maybe and that’s probably too much as that’s 5 days!

Operationals are only useful inside an appropriate skill range. Not saying to not look at them, but they have pretty bad skill overall this far out. Inside 120 hours maybe and that’s probably too much as that’s 5 days!

At what hour are OP runs very reliable ? 96 ? 72 ?

Wish they would get rid of surface maps past day 6 like the UK.

Reactions: Jon
Nothing to keep them storm track suppressed south on the EPS. The PV is to far north. But if it’s cold you like it will deliver some cold.

My area can do very well with apps runners and inland runners. I’m no longer hunting a suppressed track . It’s mid January and the clock it ticking . I’ll take a score anyway I can get it

Back