• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Will definitely be an impressive event for Oh-V, MA and NE. With the pattern setting up it looks like it could repeat over these areas next couple of weeks.

93BAFE44-4F7B-4A1E-A786-13D3AABD9C79.png

If it looks like this at the end of January, I give up. lol. Thankfully it'll look completely different this evening.

1547486318674.png

I don't think the GEFS is delaying the energy at all, do see a few ULLs though.

There are a few members that provide wintry during the 23rd-25th period but many that are swing and misses.

If it looks like this at the end of January, I give up. lol. Thankfully it'll look completely different this evening.

View attachment 11071

Why is some looking at these op runs like they are gospel? These are going to change over and over. Look at positives. Cold air is over on our side. It is close by. Let’s focus on the storm this weekend. Which won’t be sampled until Thursday I think?

The GFS after 180hrs till about 300hrs is amazing. Sorry Carolina guys, I'll take that look the rest of the way. Big time phase and overrunning potential.

View attachment 11071
I like how the big AK ridge forces the jet underneath. That's how you load the pattern with storm chances. Unfortunately, there remains no semblance of blocking in the NAO region, which leads to storms that cut and highs that scoot out to the northeast up north. Could be a really good pattern for the midwest and NE. Hopefully, it keeps evolving.

The GFS after 180hrs till about 300hrs is amazing. Sorry Carolina guys, I'll take that look the rest of the way. Big time phase and overrunning potential.

Yeah I’d take that look and take my chances . If the modeled pattern is correct it isn’t one that will make everyone happy . Gonna depends on location for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New version of GFS looks even more north. Just scrapes Tennessee with frozen on the backside with the 20th system. But I am sure this solution is going to change a few more times at least.

Realistically the 20th system will bring the cold. Hopefully setting up for the system on the 23-25th. Hopefully with cold air in place

Well there is this but who knows right now
afb9c46a90e733363fb26c0142cf3875.jpg

Going back to the D10 storm we were discussing earlier, here is a scenario where things can come together more favorably, yet because my number one rule of thumb for winter storms is still broken, it doesn't work out. Look at the 500 mb chart:

Model.jpg

The PV is still way too far north with no mechanism to suppress it south. However, a favorably timed and located shortwave over the south spawns a low pressure off the SE coast. It subsequently takes a very favorable track for SC, parts of GA, and most of NC. However, the mechanism to deliver cold air into the area, the high pressure zone to the north, is weak and too far away. And we end up with marginal cold that doesn't appear to be cold enough for most of the area for most of the storm. It's close, but it would be much better if we had strong high sitting near the Lakes or over the NE, which is hard to get with the main PV sitting over central Canada.

fv3p_ref_frzn_us_39.png

Well I'll be dang. I'm looking a little closer at the FV3 now that Rain Cold said it, and that position of the LP, if I'm seeing it right would be climo favored way further south than what it's showing. Of course the PV isn't as south as it needs to be, of course it is...

This is a really good example of what we should be hoping to see eventually inside of 100 hours. From virtually 276-384, you get this:

276.png

To this:

Perfection.jpg

I mean, that is a sustained and favorable winter pattern. The -NAO forces the PV south, which in turn suppresses the storm track south, and you have a nice ridge out west in a great location with a great orientation. If this comes anywhere close to reality, you will see many snowstorms start appearing on the models.

This is a really good example of what we should be hoping to see eventually inside of 100 hours. From virtually 276-384, you get this:

View attachment 11077

To this:

View attachment 11078

I mean, that is a sustained and favorable winter pattern. The -NAO forces the PV south, which in turn suppresses the storm track south, and you have a nice ridge out west in a great location with a great orientation. If this comes anywhere close to reality, you will see many snowstorms start appearing on the models.

The problem is it keeps getting pushed back further and further down the road. We were looking at multiple storm threats the week of the 20th last week. Now we're saying by the end of the month. That's two weeks away.

Back