• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

It’s amazing what can happen when you get a little -AO showing up on the models. Still doesn’t seem to get me snow but those purple maps sure are pretty. I’m pretty sure you could get snow on a gulf oil rig with anomolies like that

Look at that north to south US gradient. 80 in south Texas..-31 in Minneapolis..you don’t even have to drive border to border to find 110 degrees of temperature difference,.just imagine if you were a trucker taking a delivery of Modelo to MinnesotaBF549B4D-0AD9-4699-8534-5F7BE3284C31.png

Last edited:
arctic front is way slower this run, we do go from 60s to 30s during the day Saturday but the snow stays well north

6z gfs is run offs of 0z, To early to pin point A storms, just know that a storm signal is there. I bet 12z brings the goods back

6z GEFS Mean with potential for NC around the 20-21st and another threat for the entire SE around the 24th. Looks to be more opportunities to score after that as well.
1547380954148.png

Ew, big anticyclones from the south into Greenland usually are a red flag of an impending +NAO as the jet is pushed poleward of the anticyclone. Hopefully that doesn’t verify

Is that true all the time? The 6z gefs nicely retrogrades the war to a nice full block up top, with a look similar to the weeklies. Are you saying if that happens it's likely to be a very temporary fixture?

Retrograding that ridge to a greenland block seems the only to way to get a -nao in the near term, as theres a permanent trough near Scandinavia.

The 6Z FV3, similar to the 0Z run, has insane cold for the E half of the US late in the run (1/26-29). It even has two days way down here that barely make it to 32 (1/27 and 28)! Whereas I’m not at all saying this can’t or won’t happen with this pattern as it certainly could in the extreme, I’d say caution advised because it is two weeks out on a model with cold biased tendencies, especially that far out in time. By the way, 1/26-29 on that frigid run is, not surprisingly, dry in the SE outside of the mountains though moisture is pooling in the W GOM at the end of the run as H5 winds start shifting to a moist flow.

Back