• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Idalia

Center just moved off Bald Head Island & Cape Fear coast proper..

current obs
RAIN Winds
N @ 25MPH GUST too 38
Pressure 29.42 in
Visibility X
Clouds Cloudy
TEMP 73F
Dew Point 72 F
Humidity 94 %
Rainfall (ALOT)
Been getting some decent winds here. It's quiet then all of a sudden a decent gust will rock the house. Sitting at just over 5 inches of rain.

Got 2" rain here with a gust to 22 last night.

Glad they closed school for a partly sunny day with a nice, fresh autumn breeze.
They must have some built in snow days and realized they will not need them for that, better burn'em while they can

Got 2" rain here with a gust to 22 last night.

Glad they closed school for a partly sunny day with a nice, fresh autumn breeze.

On Tuesday our school district said they were doing a half day on Wednesday and on Thursday they would operate on a two hour delay. The two hour delay they said would give them time to assess the roads and any power issues that they may have. On Wednesday afternoon, they decided to go ahead and cancel Thursday school all together and make an e-learning day. The system was out of here by 11 o’clock last night. Bright and sunny with just a small breeze this morning. With my three girls saying why did they cancel school for such a bright and sunny day. ?

My wife is a Wake County teacher and she approves of the decision to cancel school for a nice breeze and a few drops of rain this morning.
We did get 2.27 inches of much needed rain overnight and the air feels wonderful outside but that will be gone when it gets hot again early next week and stays that way for at least the next two weeks.

Idalia needs to rest up a bit. It was fun here to get a good storm but not a cat 3 like FLA but it sure did hollow out fast. In 24 hours it basically became a low cloud swirl even though the land it crossed was flat and it was never far from warm water.

@lexxnchloe & everyone..

Idalia WAS NOT a *CAT 3*..
A CAT ONE..

Yes, it hit as a Cat3 - supposedly. EXCEPT: Perry, which from the radar that morning looks to have taken the eyewall in the face, only has reports of Cat 1 wind GUSTS. So where are the Cat3 winds? The screaming about it being a 4 or even worse was incessant for days. It didn't happen and from what I can see even the claims of a 3 are --------; the reported wind speeds from the ground supported a Cat 1, which is exactly what I expected would happen. Why didn't the monster everyone claimed was "muuuh~global~warming" happen?

The NHC printed several sustained wind numbers; I didn't see triple-digit ones in their list anywhere, including in places that the eyewall absolutely did hit, such as Perry.

In other words,, as with everything else these days its fake, gay, and catastrophized.

THINK.. THIS, was BARELY a hurricane. Maybe. Keaton Beach, the NHC and screamers forget, has a NOAA weather station. The eyewall made landfall at Fish Creek about 2 miles from there; I watched it on radar yesterday morning. Here's the pressure and wind from the station, which did not fail at any time during it.
MEH ya'll "wonder" why I don't post on that *other* board..

Attachments

• keatonbeach.PNG
    keatonbeach.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 27

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230831_151035_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230831_151035_Gallery.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 23
@lexxnchloe & everyone..

Idalia WAS NOT a *CAT 3*..
A CAT ONE..

Yes, it hit as a Cat3 - supposedly. EXCEPT: Perry, which from the radar that morning looks to have taken the eyewall in the face, only has reports of Cat 1 wind GUSTS. So where are the Cat3 winds? The screaming about it being a 4 or even worse was incessant for days. It didn't happen and from what I can see even the claims of a 3 are --------; the reported wind speeds from the ground supported a Cat 1, which is exactly what I expected would happen. Why didn't the monster everyone claimed was "muuuh~global~warming" happen?

The NHC printed several sustained wind numbers; I didn't see triple-digit ones in their list anywhere, including in places that the eyewall absolutely did hit, such as Perry.

In other words,, as with everything else these days its fake, gay, and catastrophized.

THINK.. THIS, was BARELY a hurricane. Maybe. Keaton Beach, the NHC and screamers forget, has a NOAA weather station. The eyewall made landfall at Fish Creek about 2 miles from there; I watched it on radar yesterday morning. Here's the pressure and wind from the station, which did not fail at any time during it.
MEH ya'll "wonder" why I don't post on that *other* board..
What happened was it started to weaken before landfall and wind usually underperforms when that happens. It clearly had a cat3 pressure at landfall.

What happened was it started to weaken before landfall and wind usually underperforms when that happens. It clearly had a cat3 pressure at landfall.
It’s also important to remember that the areas that likely saw the highest winds have no weather stations there. If this had gone say straight into Appalachicola or Carrabelle, it’s very likely that there would have been recorded wind gust well within category 3 range. Also, Perry did take a direct hit from the eyewall, but it’s also important to remember that it’s not a coastal town… it’s a ways inland and that would decrease the winds especially with the storm weakening right before landfall due to the EWRC. Everything about this storm, satellite representation, pressure readings, storm surge, and reconnaissance info says it was a category 3 at landfall.

It’s also important to remember that the areas that likely saw the highest winds have no weather stations there. If this had gone say straight into Appalachicola or Carrabelle, it’s very likely that there would have been recorded wind gust well within category 3 range. Also, Perry did take a direct hit from the eyewall, but it’s also important to remember that it’s not a coastal town… it’s a ways inland and that would decrease the winds especially with the storm weakening right before landfall due to the EWRC. Everything about this storm, satellite representation, pressure readings, storm surge, and reconnaissance info says it was a category 3 at landfall.
I agree.

I dunno Perry airport is only 12 miles inland, not far enough to account for a significant drop in winds, especially with how fast it was moving, one would have expected there to be winds there close to what the coast would have seen, the storm just did not have a chance to build a wind field reflecting all the things you mention above.

The storm was small and "young", it never had time to really establish a wind field, the ERC it started before landfall was going to take that rapid pressure fall and build a bigger stronger core, had it had another 12-18 hrs over water you would have seen a much better CDO with the better winds getting to the surface over a larger area.

Its a interesting argument to be had, because it did have the pressure and FL winds to easily support 120 mph strength, but even over water before landfall they were finding a extremely small area of hurricane force winds at the surface, and it was fairly lopsided to the east, which in this case was a problem as it pushed tons of water somewhere it had no where to go so the surge was also Cat 3. The Cat of a storm is not always going to tell you the entire story, for instance Charleston had a top 5 surge from this when it was basically a TS and never gusted over 40-45, but the fetch was just right to pile the water up, we see it down here on the sounds a lot from small storms or even just several days of NE winds like we have now.

So where are they recording sustained winds, not gusts, sustained winds for these storms? This has been going on for years with buoys and weather stations not recording sustained winds anywhere near what they are being reported as, so it must be several thousand feet above ground. Maybe they should classify the hurricanes based on barometric pressure instead. I only had to watch CNN for a few minutes for them to get their pre-scripted global warming agenda segment. Their temperature chart conveniently started at 1940, and they never showed a chart with the number of hurricanes, or severity. Yet, they claim to let the data speak for itself.

Last edited:
Let's just say we're dang lucky this hit where it did. Yeah maybe the winds didn't fully catch up but it's always the same method it has been to figure out intensity. There were the same old planes they've had since the 70s that some days barely take off. Now what the media does with that I don't know because I didn't watch them but I watched every ob on those recon planes in the final hours

Hey I'm sick of the GW stuff too but like this wasn't it...

Oh and another thing was the record surge in Cedar Key and even Tampa 100 miles away. As usual lately it was more about the water than the wind

Last edited:
I was following the storm coverage on AccuWeather's TV channel just before the eye made landfall and one of the meteorologists mentioned that Idalia had just started an eyewall replacement cycle at that time. This could help explain the difference in wind speeds between what the latest advisory mentioned at the time and the lower wind speeds that onshore recording stations were measuring.

Back