• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Franklin

Given that Tropical Tidbits updated and showed Franklin as PTD7 an hour ahead of when it was declared, and now it is showing Franklin as a hurricane, I believe the 5PM update will have Franklin officially as a 75 mph hurricane.

...FRANKLIN BECOMES THE FIRST HURRICANE OF THE 2017 ATLANTIC
SEASON...

yeah the best track is usually a good notice of an upgrade which a lot of models use

It is quite interesting how this storm has been. As far as short range models, I believe the HWRF and HMON came close since they both had the same number of runs that were very strong or too weak, but I think the HWRF had an edge stronger before the first landfall, so it should get the SR win. The other models are unknown for now, but if it doesn't get much stronger, the ECMWF and NAVGEM get the win. If it blows up into at least a cat 2, it will end up being the GFS's win.

It is quite interesting how this storm has been. As far as short range models, I believe the HWRF and HMON came close since they both had the same number of runs that were very strong or too weak, but I think the HWRF had an edge stronger before the first landfall, so it should get the SR win. The other models are unknown for now, but if it doesn't get much stronger, the ECMWF and NAVGEM get the win. If it blows up into at least a cat 2, it will end up being the GFS's win.
Not a model per se, but you may find this interesting (animated link) - http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2017/FRANKLIN_graphics.php?product=5day_cone_with_line

and this

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2017/FRANKLIN_graphics.php

85 mph on the advisory. If it can get to 90 mph it would be strongest Gulf/BOC hurricane in like 7 years.:rolleyes:

looks to have peaked per recon. Will be starting to move inland in the next couple of hours

Intensification was confirmed by an Air
Force plane which reported an earlier peak of 89 kt at flight level
and a recent peak of 80 kt measured by the SFMR. The flight level
winds were lower in the most recent leg.
The minimum pressure was
near 981 mb near 0000 UTC, but then rose to 985 mb by 0200 UTC.

Intensification was confirmed by an Air
Force plane which reported an earlier peak of 89 kt at flight level
and a recent peak of 80 kt measured by the SFMR. The flight level
winds were lower in the most recent leg.
The minimum pressure was
near 981 mb near 0000 UTC, but then rose to 985 mb by 0200 UTC.
I guess I will record the winds of 90 mph and pressure of 981mb when finishing the wiki page for Franklin tomorrow.

Back