• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

How much do you like Freezing Rain?

I think those who take offense to another's excitement over an ice storm often are interpreting things the wrong way. I am always "excited" at the prospect of severe/unusual weather, but I obviously don't like the destruction that often accompanies. If there was no severe weather of any kind there wouldn't be much of a reason to study weather, as it would have hardly any impact on human activities. So when I say I am excited, it is because of the prospect of something new to observe.

I love it all. My first chase was in Oklahoma with an ice storm, back in October. This is my 8th chase so far this season.

#jameshatessevereweenies
I’m not a big severe guy tbh. ?

Wintry weather is my ride or die, though hurricanes can be fun to track, no desire to experience them firsthand, though!!

The last one I remember here in ATL that was pretty serious was Jan 23 2000? I was hella young though and don’t remember it well.

I know what ice storms are capable of and how serious they can be. With that being said, I’d like to experience a bad one, just so I can say I’ve went through it. I think that’s what it basically comes down to for me. Lord knows I may regret this post in the future...

I've seen freezing rain about 4 different times in my life and it's a very cool experience, not sure I'd want a inch of ice but a glaze or so makes for a nice scene.

I like a little bit of ice but not too much, just enough to make it look pretty but not be impactful (0.05-0.20 ish). There's nothing like having a nice snowstorm and ending it off w/ some sleet then putting a little glaze on top. Makes the snow crunchy and preserves it. Also sledding is much better when there's a light glaze on top of the snow pack

The last one I remember here in ATL that was pretty serious was Jan 23 2000? I was hella young though and don’t remember it well.

I know what ice storms are capable of and how serious they can be. With that being said, I’d like to experience a bad one, just so I can say I’ve went through it. I think that’s what it basically comes down to for me. Lord knows I may regret this post in the future...
Let me tell you, the one in 1973 is still the MOTHER of ice storms in ATL... The 2000 events were a mere infant compared to that beast.

I would prefer snow, but in the winter I will take anything frozen over 33 and rain. I have been through a couple of big ice storms (the last one in Dec 2005). we can't control them and no, I do not like the tree damage. however, a true ice storm is an amazing event to experience - and it is gorgeous when everything is covered in ice (esp if the sun comes out). I am a true weenie I guess, I love all kinds of extreme wx. I understand a lot do not like them, but for those of us who do the editorialization and assumption that "everyone' hates ice storms does get old after a while.
I’m desperate enough this years to saw my way out as long as I can extricate myself and family after a day or two. A cpl nights w the propane stove won’t kill me. Just stop the damn sloppy rain.....of course it’ll be like the Mohave dessert here in August/Sept I have no doubt.

Let me tell you, the one in 1973 is still the MOTHER of ice storms in ATL... The 2000 events were a mere infant compared to that beast.
I was very small but remember having to go to central ga to my grandparents to escape the metro Atl Icemageddon only to try to get back home from the 23” of snow laid down by the central ga mauler?. Those were the real winters here!

Back