• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

How much do you like Freezing Rain?

I chose a little bit just enough to make the trees shine. Don't need trees falling down and loss of power. Been there, done that and it's the worst. Especially scary wondering if a tree is going to fall on the house in the middle of the night as you hear them snapping left and right.

Question is too vague. If it’s ice alone, I’m not interested but if it comes with a few inches of snow, I’ll take it.

I would prefer snow, but in the winter I will take anything frozen over 33 and rain. I have been through a couple of big ice storms (the last one in Dec 2005). we can't control them and no, I do not like the tree damage. however, a true ice storm is an amazing event to experience - and it is gorgeous when everything is covered in ice (esp if the sun comes out). I am a true weenie I guess, I love all kinds of extreme wx. I understand a lot do not like them, but for those of us who do the editorialization and assumption that "everyone' hates ice storms does get old after a while.

Surprised there are that many that want something that pulls down trees, power lines and is impossible to drive on.

I hope it's a case of they have never been through it to understand. We run into the same thing with hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Extreme weather events in your back yard sound amazing until....

I say I like Ice storms better than say hurricanes, very warm weather(temps over 85 during the day and over 60-63 at night),and cold rain events. However I'm pretty Natural. On the one hand, the Tree and surfaces look quite pretty during Ice events. However there's quite a huge risk of power outages, which make things a nightmare, especially if temps stay near/below after the storm. Overall I'm a much bigger snow/sleet fan than a freezing rain fan and I would even put severe weather over freezing rain, but I strongly take freezing rain over 33-45 degree rain any day, especially based on since I moved back to the Midlands in 2018 and the snow/sleet drought been huge there.

Ice storms = typically more widespread damage then severe weather, but severe can do more damage at a more localized standpoint

Back