• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Hotober

Interesting seeing both GEFS and EPS model a fairly solid cold pattern to end October. Matches up with a-nino climo.

View attachment 24475View attachment 24476
Looking more and more like we might actually have a sustained period of below normal during the week of Halloween into the first week of November. Hard to get too excited though given the tendency for models to really flex the ridge in the west then flatten is as we approach real time. I don't think it's far fetched to believe November ends up below normal as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well hello there
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_17.png

It's a hybrid cad type event with the residual cool dry air mass at the surface and the warm moist air mass going over top

Well hopefully its not just happy hour weirdness. Massive difference from 12z

Well hopefully its not just happy hour weirdness. Massive difference from 12z
12z gfs was pretty unenthusiastic about anything getting going so you get this big change. Keep in mind the euro and eps are farther NW than most other modeling. If they were to be right the residual cool air mass would be eaten away and only left trapped in the foothills while the rest of us are in the soup

Worth mentioning a second time: that rain chance on the weekend that has been popping up actually originates from the tropics and it's that "X" over the Yucatan. So, we're at the mercy of if whether that disturbance organizes or not and where it goes.

12z gfs was pretty unenthusiastic about anything getting going so you get this big change. Keep in mind the euro and eps are farther NW than most other modeling. If they were to be right the residual cool air mass would be eaten away and only left trapped in the foothills while the rest of us are in the soup

Are you saying we should expect the temps to be more in the 70s (as I am expecting)?

Are you saying we should expect the temps to be more in the 70s (as I am expecting)?
I'd lean towards 30-50% rain chances with highs near 70. Until we get some clarity on what's going on in the gulf its hard to go with the wet cool gfs, or a warmer but wet idea with a low to our west, or a dry scenario with a low well to our southeast

Worth mentioning a second time: that rain chance on the weekend that has been popping up actually originates from the tropics and it's that "X" over the Yucatan. So, we're at the mercy of if whether that disturbance organizes or not and where it goes.

Chances of a tropical storm from that are increasing per model consensus tendencies today. If so, some areas would very likely get several inches of rain within a pretty short period of time. Even if no tropical storm, just having the plentiful tropical moisture should still allow for that though the heavier totals would probably be more spread out.

Well today by all accounts a bust. I recieved 0.18in of rain today, which is funny considering I recieved 0.40 Saturday night into Sunday night.

It's actually been raining fairly steadily for maybe close to 40 minutes. Nothing hard but a steady rain. Maybe 1-2 more hours of it. Better than nothing. Maybe can add that to the Sunday rain, then a possible tropical system, and we'll have put a dent into it being dry. The grass already looked better from Sunday.

Looking more and more like we might actually have a sustained period of below normal during the week of Halloween into the first week of November. Hard to get too excited though given the tendency for models to really flex the ridge in the west then flatten is as we approach real time. I don't think it's far fetched to believe November ends up below normal as well.

Shane, Can we get a decent look in winter as well? Im not sure its a good thing to be cold during the fall if it cant carry over into the winter. Just curious.

Back