• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Heavy rain / flash flooding, 12/26/18-1/2/19

Well damn. Looks like the I-85 corridor (including the ATL metro) was in one of the bullseyes after all

Estimated 4+ inches of rain, *so far*. We've had constant heavy rain / thunderstorms all night.

Last edited:
Well damn. Looks like the I-85 corridor (including the ATL metro) was in one of the bullseyes after all

Estimated 4+ inches of rain, *so far*. We've had constsnt heavy rain / thunderstorms all night.
And so tight a gradient also... Here only 0.48 through 0700 EST, with 4+ only 25 miles to West... Also the warm from.. 50 in Jonesboro GA with Griffin (17 miles South) at 67..

Good grief, the rain totals I don't know but my front yard looks like a pond, and what's with this lightning and the way its striking? It doesn't sound like its arcing in the clouds, it sounds directly like straight up and down cloud to ground! Shook my house last night and this morning and knocked the internet out for 20 min. Ya'll all be safe, ATL area might need some boats to travel in!!

And so tight a gradient also... Here only 0.48 through 0700 EST, with 4+ only 25 miles to West... Also the warm from.. 50 in Jonesboro GA with Griffin (17 miles South) at 67..

Yeah, that is an impressive gradient. Didn't think it was that tight.

As of 9am, ATL had reported 68 49". Probably will fall short of the #1 spot (about 71.45"), but #2 from back in 2009 (I think about 69.43") should be broken.

FWIW, with the last line of storms, a CoCoRaHS spotter here in Newnan had reported observing 0.55" of additional rain in 8 minutes (that's a rainfall rate of over 4"/hr).

As of 9am, ATL had reported 68 49". Probably will fall short of the #1 spot (about 71.45"), but #2 from back in 2009 (I think about 69.43") should be broken.

FWIW, with the last line of storms, a CoCoRaHS spotter here in Newnan had reported observing 0.55" of additional rain in 8 minutes (that's a rainfall rate of over 4"/hr).

As of this afternoon, ATL has seen 69.49" for the year, officially making this the 2nd wettest year on record.

Fog as thick as pea soup!!! Almost ran off the road twice out in the backroads of Monroe, GA and Good Hope, GA! I'll be glad when mother nature decides to make up her mind about what season she wants to be in. And I can't believe all the rain, you can swim in my front yard and back yard!

I’m shocked there are no fog advisories out from FFC. The fog has really gotten thick the last hour...like thick thick lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea it’s thick, once the sun went down the fog rolled in, I’m surprised no advisory has be issued. Less then a 1/2 mile right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back